• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place to buy sausage

July 4th is here and now. I want to buy a few different kinds of sausage for a July 4th BB. So, where is everyone's favorite place to buy sausage? I tried many different kinds, from many places, but nothing really great.

Thank you and have a great July 4th.

Eric

Three favorites:

Rosario's in Watchung Plaza, Montclair makes top quality Italian sausage. I'm sure you will see many other "best of Italian sausage" postings from around New Jersey...best Rosario is the real deal--a caring butcher who also makes homemade mozzarella 3 times a day. Truly sublime. But: he also makes an organic chicken sausage that is always juicy and flavorful and worth trying.

In New Providence, NJ, it's worth seeking out Barth's Pork Store. They've been around since the 1940s, using the Barth family sausage recipes some nice family member brought with them from Germany. They have their own smokehouse on the premises.

And, as the wife of an Englishman, I have to point out that Whole Foods, for all my love/hate relationship with them, sells Irish Bangers from a company called Hans, that are near perfection as far as a banger is concerned.

Hope this helps. What a nice meal it will be. I may follow suit.

Let us know what YOU decide.

July 4th is here and now. I want to buy a few different kinds of sausage for a July 4th BB. So, where is everyone's favorite place to buy sausage? I tried many different kinds, from many places, but nothing really great.

Thank you and have a great July 4th.

Eric

I like like the Italian sausage made at Arnie's.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of heading over to the Swiss Pork Store in Fair Lawn, but I haven't been there in years and really don't remember a thing about the varieties of sausage. I don't want to go the kielbasa route, nor did I just want the hot or sweet from the Italian deli.

I also forgot about Kocher's (in Ridgefield Park).

BTW, where is Arnie's?

Any others? Favorite pork store? Thanks again.

Eric

I like A&S Pork located in Nutley (they have another location in West Paterson). We'll be grilling a cheese and parsley Italian sausage pinwheel on the 4th.

We buy all of our sausages at Cartlidge's of Trenton, in the Trenton Farmers Market, around since 1922. Their sausages have no nitrites, fillers, MSG or artificial anything. Superb lean quality to all of their sausages.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 4 weeks later...

We've had terrific sausage (kielbasa, Italian, and German) as well as amazing liverwurst and hot dogs at Herzog's Jersey Pork Store, 232 Somerset St. in South Plainfield. They also have a killer potato salad that may involve pork fat.

• 6 months later...
We've had terrific sausage (kielbasa, Italian, and German) as well as amazing liverwurst and hot dogs at Herzog's Jersey Pork Store, 232 Somerset St. in South Plainfield. They also have a killer potato salad that may involve pork fat.

Sadly, the pork store closed last summer when Mr. Herzog retired.

Piast in Garfield or Emporium on Rt. 9 South in Marlboro. Excellent Polish and Russian sausage respectively.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Corrado's has the best Brooklyn-style sausage. In fact, it's the only place I know of to buy it. It's a lot better than supermarket sausage, but not quite like home made. Nothing is better on the grill in summer.

Kocher's Continental Specialty meats in Ridgefield makes the best Kielbasy and German-style sausages of all time. All the beef they sell is prime -- even the hamburger-- and the prices are better than at Wegman's, etc. And all the sausages and charcuterie are made by old-world butchers on site. They have a large, educated and professional staff. The best pork in the area, the best lamb.

Here are some pictures and a little writeup about Kocher's. Take a look:

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2006/08...-kochers-meats/

Edit: Forgot to mention, their bacon is some of the best. Made in house, of course. And i know they supply their famous hot dogs to some of the better hot dog establishments in the area.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 4 months later...