• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine Dining for an 11 year old

Mottmott

admin note: moved topic from New Jersey

For our combined birthday celebration, I'm taking my 11 year old gd to the Met Mus before August 19. The date is contingent upon our lunch/dinner reservation. (On balance, I'd prefer lunch as long as the menu isn't diminished by not being dinner.)

EM and I cook/bake together all the time. And though, fair to say, she's more into product than process, she has an excellent palate and is seldom wrong when I ask her what's needed to balance a soup, sauce, etc.

I want this to be a blowout meal that she'll never forget. And a perfect dessert must climax the meal, not simply end it.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Preferred location?

Well for starts, Manhattan would be easiest as I'm currently hobbling on a cane. (As you see, I've carelessly clicked my post into the wrong forum.)

My plan is to park at the Museum, so a subway and/or taxi will take us anywhere. For something really out of the way, I will go out of the way.

Dessert is more important than location. Em really likes meat and veggies; for example, she flips over such things as the sauteed brussel sprouts we lovingly separated into leaves, beet slices graced with mustard oil, or mushroom duxelle raviolis with sage butter. She'll be spot on when I have her taste an improvised bean soup, adjusting it with a splash of vinegar, etc. But she's wild for desserts. (Should she ever go into the restaurant business, no doubt it would be as pastry chef.)

Is this meant to be a fancy lunch or something more casual?

Chris Brobergs desserts at Cafe Gray at real showstoppers.

Jean Georges also has "fun desserts"

I've never been to David Burke and Donatella but have heard singing on the wind about a cheesecake lollipop tree....

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Is this meant to be a fancy lunch or something more casual?

Chris Brobergs desserts at Cafe Gray at real showstoppers.

Jean Georges also has "fun desserts"

I've never been to David Burke and Donatella but have heard singing on the wind about a cheesecake lollipop tree....

I checked out DB&D's website/menu. It looks like a really good candidate. Thanks.

It's not so much an issue of fancy or casual as something downright delicious.

Can you go to Chikalicious and just have a meal of perfect desserts?

I don't know an eleven year old who wouldn't like that. you'll also look like the coolest dad in the world for taking her to the East Village insted of the Upper East side.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Can you go to Chikalicious and just have a meal of perfect desserts?

I don't know an eleven year old who wouldn't like that. you'll also look like the coolest dad in the world for taking her to the East Village insted of the Upper East side.

Neat! I've filed that for another trip. We need a whole meal this time as there will probably be another adult on board.

I have heard really disappointing things about DB & D. My vote is for lunch at Jean-Georges - fantastic food and desserts. The menu is small plates which makes it easier to taste a variety of things, and as has been noted many times before, it's an excellent value. I personally have found lunch to be more enjoyable/less stuffy than dinner. I think she'll be really wowed there. Le Bernardin would be high on my list too for food & dessert, but it's not "fun" place atmosphere-wise . . . .

I have heard really disappointing things about DB & D.  My vote is for lunch at Jean-Georges - fantastic food and desserts.  The menu is small plates which makes it easier to taste a variety of things, and as has been noted many times before, it's an excellent value.  I personally have found lunch to be more enjoyable/less stuffy than dinner.  I think she'll be really wowed there.  Le Bernardin would be high on my list too for food & dessert, but it's not "fun" place atmosphere-wise . . . .

Thanks for the suggestion. I have Jean-Georges' books and everything I've made from them has been terrific. I'm sure they're even better when he makes them. :biggrin:

If you're into Chikalicious, I'd say take it a step further and do the dessert tasting at WD-50. The most innovative desserts around! They're by Alex Stupak; I would think that an 11 year old might be into the "whimsy" aspect of them. But they are, alas, only open for dinner.

Lately I've really been into Gramercy Tavern's desserts, especially the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake with "frozen milk." And I hear very food things about the pastry chef at Del Posto.

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I'm so glad you're doing this! I always tagged along on my dad's business trips, and got to eat at places like the Four Seasons at about that age. It made quite an impression on me, as I'm sure this trip will for your daughter.

I'm a huge dessert fiend and I went to JG for lunch on my birthday. With three of us, we decided to go ahead and order all four desserts on the menu. The waiter kindly brought over a fifth dessert from Nougatine. In the course of serving the desserts, he overheard my friend talking about my birthday, and then brought a sixth dessert with a candle in it! Needless to say, I was very full but in heaven.

I liked the desserts from Nougatine slightly more and they might be more up an 11-year old's alley. (I didn't take notes or photos on the meal - I wanted to just enjoy it and remember the whole experience my way. But one JG dessert that particularly stands out was a beet parfait with a yogurt powder. On the other hand they also usually have a chocolate plate, which is still pretty sophisticated.).

One other consideration: I love the food of fine dining but I don't always love the fussiness of fine dining service. We had a 2:30 reservation, I believe, right at the end of lunch service. When we arrived, the room was full, and it was a little hard to relax. But as business lunchers left, and the room got progressively emptier, we were able to chat with our waiters and feel more comfortable. And with a late big lunch, we didn't want anything for dinner - just some cocktails and birthday presents.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway

You all give me confidence that J-G not only has great food but is appropriate for an 11 year old foodie. So far it looks like our best candidate.

We'll likely take more jaunts together to NYC, as we're only a hop away on the turnpike in Philadelphia. So we'll likely try out all these suggestions sooner or later.

And after JG - which I too recommend - you can walk across the street to the Time Warner Center (The Mall) and get some more desserts to go from Bouchon Bakery.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sorry. I have to disagree with the JG recommendation. Food is great but I'm just not impressed with the desserts. And the flavor combinations in the desserts may not thrill an 11 yr old.

DB&D may not be top tier with the savories but they're still good and I don't know a kid that wouldn't be impressed with the cheesecake lollipops.