• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Collins Mix

David Ross

I am having trouble finding 'Collins Mix' in the markets in Spokane. I am drinking a 'fake' Vodka Collins right now because I substituted the Collins with Squirt. It is a close approximation of the classic cocktail but not the same of course.

Can I make a quasi Collins mix at home starting with Squirt?

Years ago, in the 60's actually, my Grandfather used to love a good 'Tom Collins' aka with gin, at his country club. I think it was one of those summer drinks of years gone by that has gone out of fashion against the Mojitos and Martinis.

Any ideas?

It seems entirely likely that your grandfather did have vodka and collins mix, and if that's what you're after -- classic appurtenances notwithstanding -- you're entitled to drink whatever tastes good to you.

But a true Tom Collins is built from -- as stolincuervo alludes -- gin, lemon juice, sugar (or simple syrup) and soda water. It's an elegant summer cooler, and it's never been out of style as far as I'm concerned:

Put four or five ice cubes in a 9-oz. glass. This isn't as big as you think, so measure.

In another container, mix until the sugar is dissolved:

Two ounces gin

One half-ounce lemon juice

One teaspoon superfine sugar or double syrup

Pour into the first glass and top with soda water. If you have the right-sized glass, you'll only be able to add about an ounce, and that's pretty close to perfect. After your first, adjust the proportions to suit your taste.

Substitute a half-tablespoon of Maraschino for the sugar, and you've got a John Collins (though technically, you're supposed to use Genever rather than London dry gin). It might be even better than the Tom -- it's basically a fizzy Aviation.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

It seems entirely likely that your grandfather did have vodka and collins mix, and if that's what you're after -- classic appurtenances notwithstanding -- you're entitled to drink whatever tastes good to you.

But a true Tom Collins is built from -- as stolincuervo alludes -- gin, lemon juice, sugar (or simple syrup) and soda water. It's an elegant summer cooler, and it's never been out of style as far as I'm concerned:

Put four or five ice cubes in a 9-oz. glass. This isn't as big as you think, so measure.

In another container, mix until the sugar is dissolved:

Two ounces gin

One half-ounce lemon juice

One teaspoon superfine sugar or double syrup

Pour into the first glass and top with soda water. If you have the right-sized glass, you'll only be able to add about an ounce, and that's pretty close to perfect. After your first, adjust the proportions to suit your taste.

Substitute a half-tablespoon of Maraschino for the sugar, and you've got a John Collins (though technically, you're supposed to use Genever rather than London dry gin). It might be even better than the Tom -- it's basically a fizzy Aviation.

Thank you so much for the recipe and the lesson in Tom Collins cocktail-ology.

It's now on my list for this summer.

Well, yeah, the recipe I listed was the classic. I bump the lemon a bit (though I'm going to try some lime, based on the recommendation here), and admit to a slightly elevated sugar level. A mint-leaf garnish is good for additional refreshment -- leave it in the glass as you sip.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I was under the impression that "sweet-n-sour" mix was the same thing as Collins mix: basically sweetened lemon juice, sometimes with additional citrus accents. So, if you're looking for a pre-made mixer, I bet you can find sweet-n-sour.

However, I certainly agree that cocktails taste best with fresh citrus. For a Collins, in addition to the lemon and lime, you can add a touch of grapefruit juice.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Make it with lime and it's (almost) a Gin Rickey. The difference being that the classic Gin Rickey has no sugar and a higher proportion of soda to gin. But I prefer the Lime Collins with the sugar.

Eric Felten wrote a wonderful article about the history of the Tom Collins in the May 26 Wall Street Journal, which includes the classic tale of the 1874 Tom Collins hoax which swept the nation. Here's a reprint of the article from the Providence Journal site that can be legally accessed (the WSJ site is subscription only).

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

In Killer Cocktails Dave Wondrich says the original was the John Collins:

...John Collins, the waiter at London's Limmer's Hotel who brought the posh clientele round after round of the establishment's famous fizzy gin punch.  Then came Tom, Dick and Harry.  But forget them for now -- of all the Collinses, Old John is still the tastiest.  Here's a pretty good stab at what he himself would have been handing around.

2 ounces Bols genever gin

1/2 ounce lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons maraschino liqueur

To finish: chilled fizz water

Combine in a glass with 4 or 5 ice cubes, stir and top off with fizz water.

The Tom Collins is a less complex version of the same, substituting London dry gin for the genever and substituting sugar for the maraschino. Dave says it probably took its name from the use of old tom gin.

--

Thank you everyone for your sage advice. I do want to correct myself on the first post. I mentioned I was looking for Tom Collins 'mix.' I may have mislead you into thinking that I meant a dry, powedered mix to make a Collins. I meant to say Tom Collins bottled mixer. We could always find it in out grocery stores. Now we are lucky if they put a few bottles of Canada Dry brand out during the Holidays.

In any case, I have many recipes to try before I determine which one best suits my tastes. And I can't wait to read the WSJ journal about Collins history. Thanks again.

I was under the impression that "sweet-n-sour" mix was the same thing as Collins mix: basically sweetened lemon juice, sometimes with additional citrus accents.

As was I, before shopping at some well-equipped beverage sources. Now, I'm just confused. One particular store I can think of carries quite a wide selection (premixed), all with different shades of color, viscosities, and caloric content. To wit:

* Collins Mix

* Vodka Collins Mix

* Sweet and Sour Mix

* Sour Mix

* Whiskey Sour Mix

And then, of course, there are the non-liquid ones. Of the former, some call for refrigeration post-opening, and some don't.

To the amateur such as myself, this situation is unconscionable. Or perhaps it just calls for a day of tasting with a few tools from the lab.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I was under the impression that "sweet-n-sour" mix was the same thing as Collins mix: basically sweetened lemon juice, sometimes with additional citrus accents.

As was I, before shopping at some well-equipped beverage sources. Now, I'm just confused. One particular store I can think of carries quite a wide selection (premixed), all with different shades of color, viscosities, and caloric content. To wit:

* Collins Mix

* Vodka Collins Mix

* Sweet and Sour Mix

* Sour Mix

* Whiskey Sour Mix

Collins mix is carbonated -- more like lemon-lime soda than like sour mix. Sweet and Sour mix is probably the same as Sour mix: that is, citric acid and corn syrup with artificial or natural lemon flavor. It's going to be more concentrated than the Collins mix, as well as not being carbonated.

As for the Vodka Collins mix, unless it contains alcohol and is ready to drink, I doubt it's any different from the Collins mix. Same with the Whiskey Sour mix and sour mix -- same thing, different name.

Sour mix off the gun is the club-bartenders best friend.The sour mix has sodium in it so it helps make drinks made with lowestshelf spirits slightly more palateable. It gives texture and makes opaque your cosmos, apple martinis, flirtinis, lemondrop martinis, french martinis, gag me with a chainsaw martinis, incrediable hulks, thug passions, midori sours...ad nauseousness. The foaming agent that is contained therein makes your margaritas, gimlets, and Collins’ attractive and tastey.And it being on the gun it’s fast so you have more time to flirt, Get phone #'s, visit the coat check room with a hot cocktail waitress... Mix The Bartenders best friend!

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Collins mix is carbonated -- more like lemon-lime soda than like sour mix. Sweet and Sour mix is probably the same as Sour mix: that is, citric acid and corn syrup with artificial or natural lemon flavor. It's going to be more concentrated than the Collins mix, as well as not being carbonated.

As for the Vodka Collins mix, unless it contains alcohol and is ready to drink, I doubt it's any different from the Collins mix. Same with the Whiskey Sour mix and sour mix -- same thing, different name.

Excellent. Thanks for the details.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large