• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portayaky

annecros

My husband wants one of these:

Click here for all the Portayaki Dope

I have exhausted the "you won't use it" - "we could spend the money elsewhere" - "You are just in love with the idea of being the center of attention" arguments.

Can you help a lady out here, and give me some ammo on why we shouldn't buy one?

I am fighting a losing battle.

Well, it certainly looks like fun and could do double-duty for large breakfasts and diner food.

But they got the name wrong. It should be something like "Porta-Teppan," since the "yaki" just refers to grilling. Also, if you order it, make sure that they send you the tank cover with the chinese character *right side up* (not upside down). :laugh:

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

oh I want one...

it could fit somewhere between the offset smoker, the webber kettle, the gas grill and the outdoor fryer

need a bigger patio

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Sorry annacros, but I'm with hubby.............. that thing is way cool. :cool: I saw a similar product on one of those home and garden shows and it was hella expensive, something like $5,000, so this unit seems like a real bargain in comparison. I only have two caveats: first, for me the Portayaky is only as cool as the one using it so if hubby is a rather klutzy cook--flipping food into people's laps, splashing them with hot oil, overcooking the shrimp and undercooking the chicken--then I say pass. Gotta have all the right moves to impress your guests. My other caveat is the name since it just reminds me too much of the "Port-A-Potty" so maybe you might want to consider giving it a cool nickname when he gets it. And believe me, he's gonna get it. :wink:

Gee, I guess we're not really helping, huh? :blink:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

When I was travelling Australia and New Zealand, all of the "barbecues"/grills at the campgrounds - and peoples homes - looked like that. I think I saw an actual grill once. They cooked burgers and sausages really well, with the added bonus that you could fry up onions in butter on the side. It went a long way in convincing my husband to eat onions.

No you guys are not being helpful. :biggrin:

Yes, diva, my husband has visions of himself flipping shrimp tails into guest's laps, constructing an onion volcano, etc.

He can't do that. He may get it yet.

I can show him a real good time with that money...

I admit, I love it, too. But that they put the cover on upside-down, and can't even spell "yaki" correctly annoy me enough to think I would never ever buy it.

Just buy him a nice flat grill pan to put on top of his gas bbq for now. And add a few TV tables around it. That should tide him over for a bit, and the two of you can still have a good time! :wink:

I think you are asking the wrong people for why nots, we already need major interventions. I saw one of these at the local thrift store and had to drag myself away before I bought it. I hope it is gone before my next visit.

I'd say buy it!!!!!

Okay Anne, I'll have a go...

For what you get, it's stupidly overpriced - that's a $50 'turkey fryer' burner on a $100 Gas grill frame with a griddle on top. Not only would making your own save about four figures, but home-made [pronounced "custom built"] is way cooler.

Good luck, it sounds like there's a porta-thingy in your future :smile:

cheers

Derek

Can you help a lady out here, and give me some ammo on why we shouldn't buy one?

I'm not sure how I would feel eating around this if it radiates a lot of eat. It maybe fun to look at but sitting around this if it's a hot day, winding, the food burns a little and smokes...

Seems to be just one big cooking surface to show off cooking skills to guests... is that really enjoyable?

Edited by ArtistSeries (log)

Anne, you'd be better off putting the money into power tools and building something, or else saving a boatload and just going with laniloa's suggestion and getting a griddle for the grill! Looks like another item to store, fix, etc., etc. (in a minimalist phase around here).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My husband wants one of these:

Click here for all the Portayaki Dope

I have exhausted the "you won't use it" - "we could spend the money elsewhere" - "You are just in love with the idea of being the center of attention" arguments.

I am fighting a losing battle.

25,000 BTU for around 750 sq inches of cooking surface seems underpowered. It may not cook with the speed and heat one would be hopng for in teppan-style cooking.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Oh wonderful! Now we are getting somewhere.

He has a garage full of power tools. We have a fish/turkey fryer, gas grill, smoker, and a small just plain grill. He even has some word working thingys I bought him that he has not used. We own bar stools. Six of them. Home Depot and Lowe's both sell tile.

Anybody got a parts list and plan? I'd almost split the difference for a good one.

I'm not sure how I would feel eating around this if it radiates a lot of eat. It maybe fun to look at but sitting around this if it's a hot day, winding, the food burns a little and smokes...

Seems to be just one big cooking surface to show off cooking skills to guests... is that really enjoyable?

Yeah, it would seem to

radiate a lot of eat
(ducks and runs) :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"