• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh green bean recipes

StanSherman

Steam about a 1lb of fresh green beans. Shock them in ice water and dry them off for later.

Chop up some portabella (or other mushrooms) and saute in butter with some finely diced shallots.

Don't turnover the mushrooms until they've had a chance to brown on one side. Add zest and juice of one lemon. Stir back in green beans and heat through. S&P to taste.

A touch of freshly grated nutmeg sets this off really nice.

doc

• 1 month later...

All this wet weather has made the runner (pole) beans flourish.

What to do with them?

I made Fifi;s Southern Style Green Bean Casserole, and very good it is too. http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r577.html but what is the definitive (and nicest - from scratch only) green bean casserole? Creamed or not?

Any other on that theme (not canned/salted/pickles/frozen - done those already)

Highly recommended, unusual way to cook up a LOT of green beans: Polpettone di fagioli, essentially a vegetable torta that is very light and a perfect centerpiece for a summer meal.

The dish is from Liguria, the Italian region responsible for pesto. There, pesto is often served with potatoes and green beans that are cooked in the water you use to boil your pasta.

I love braised green beans, too, but recommend trying them once without the tomatoes since that's my preference if I had to choose.

Great in lots of different types of salads, not just Nicoise. Complemented by batons of fennel if you can find flavorful bulbs in August. Also mint.

ETA: Some people like them in other types of casseroles, too.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Wrap in a cured meat (I use turkey bacon) and roast in a hot oven (400 degrees F) till the outside is crispy and the bean is crisp-tender.

Thinly slice onion, sweat with salt in neutral oil, add a little turmeric, cayenne pepper and cumin seeds. Toast the spices for a few seconds, then add green beans and cook to desired doneness. If you need more exact amounts, I'll measure the next time I make 'em. :wink:

A spur of the moment Salad I came up with (Probably not original but was new to me!) was to roast some shallots and tomatoes (I think I used cherry tomatoes, but mainly because that is what I had to hand) and toss with lightly cooked beans in a lemony vinaigrette (I think I added a little minced garlic), some lemon zest and fresh basil. I made it more substantial by topping with grilled halloumi too.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Dress cooked green beans and cooked gnocchi with basil pesto... This is one of my favorite summer dishes. Add some halved cherry tomatoes.

If you don't have gnocchi at hand you can also substitute a short stubby pasta with crannies like a gemeli (sic?) (a short, "twinned" fusilli-type pasta) or oriechette. Cubed, boiled potatoes can also be added to the mix.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Balsamic Glazed Green Beans:

Saute green beans over medium high heat until they're wilted and there are little specks of brown and black on them, about 15 minutes or so. Then, add in some fine slivers of garlic and toss for a minute and then deglaze with a healthy glug of balsamic vinegar. Toss for another 30 seconds until the vinegar is reduced down to a nice glaze and then serve. The key is to cook the green beans long enough so they they're soft and nicely charred.

I make this all the time, and add halved cherry tomatoes for color and flavor.

Dress cooked green beans and cooked gnocchi with basil pesto...  This is one of my favorite summer dishes.  Add some halved cherry tomatoes. 

If you don't have gnocchi at hand you can also substitute a short stubby pasta with crannies like a gemeli (sic?)  (a short, "twinned" fusilli-type pasta) or oriechette.  Cubed, boiled potatoes can also be added to the mix.

Hah! I made exactly this last night, with spinach gnocchi.