• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Americans and Chewy Drinks

GlorifiedRice

I just went to H-Mart in Upper Darby, Pa and bought 3 assorted flavors of Jelly Papa jelly drinks. These are a 4 oz plastic cup with very very soft carageenan or agar jelly and finely minced nata de coco with a straw. Im addicted to them. Its fun to drink the jelly and chew the sweet nata de coco.

I dont understand why these types of things havent made it big in America.

That beverage Orbitz with the chewable balls never caught on, but that was over 13 years ago, we have Bubble Tea now, but even that isnt widely known.

Why do YOU think drinks with texturizers or a slippery feeling havent caught on in the USA the way they have elsewhere?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I'll take a complete stab in the dark at answering this, but I think that "slippery" is translated to slimy which is translated to phlegmy which means a no-go for many Americans. But then, maybe that's just me. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I'll take a complete stab in the dark at answering this, but I think that "slippery" is translated to slimy which is translated to phlegmy which means a no-go for many Americans. But then, maybe that's just me.  :raz:

You would think that's the very reason they would be popular with kids though, especially offered in gross colors like bright pea green and flourescent blue? :biggrin:

SB (personally, no thanks :raz: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

I think they -would- catch on, if any attention was given to marketing. I mean, look at what marketing has done for the sugary salt water of Gatorade. Orbits was just gross, either way. Yuck flavors, and the balls were kind of weird, not like a good bumpy bubble tea. At least as far as I remember.

Yeah, I think it would catch on in the States, if it was packaged and marketed right, for sure.

I tried a couple of flavours of Orbitz, and only remember the orange one. It tasted like sweet 7-Up with orange flavoured balls in it. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't like the texture of those floaties - they were slippery & not chewy, although they didn't melt in your mouth. They sure looked cool though (come on, I was in Grade 6!).

Although I like bubble tea, I usually get it without the tapioca pearls as I find them too filling. I like getting bubble tea with coffee jelly, green tea jelly, or coconut "jelly" (although not all together). They should start making those jellies with agar.

I tried a couple of flavours of Orbitz, and only remember the orange one.  It tasted like sweet 7-Up with orange flavoured balls in it.  It wasn't horrible, but I didn't like the texture of those floaties - they were slippery & not chewy, although they didn't melt in your mouth.  They sure looked cool though (come on, I was in Grade 6!).

Although I like bubble tea, I usually get it without the tapioca pearls as I find them too filling.  I like getting bubble tea with coffee jelly, green tea jelly, or coconut "jelly" (although not all together).  They should start making those jellies with agar.

Those tapioca balls are filling cause they they are about 600 calories a drink on top of the 500 in the tea. They make Konnyaku boba pearls that have virtually no calories.

Orbitz Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbitz_(soft_drink)

Edited by GlorifiedRice (log)

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

[...]we have Bubble Tea now, but even that isnt widely known.[...]

It isn't? Seems pretty popular in New York, and it's definitely spread beyond Chinese neighborhoods. The Saint's Alp on 3rd Av. between 9th and 10th here in the East Village is very popular.

Michael aka "Pan"

At my store I've sold Bubble Tea, Basil Seed Drink, Jelly Grass and a few others. The only way I can sell them is when a kid comes in and ask, "Do you want to try something really gross." Almost always the boys agree and girls scream for mom. Then once they taste them they want more more more! And (does this make me a shameless marketer to children) then they almost always bring friends back to try the "gross drink."

Pan? Theres a big country between NYC and LA

Yeah, but you're in the Philadelphia area.

Exactly, but the majority of the country (sans metropolitan areas) have never heard of Bubble Tea. Hell, I once asked for a Perrier at a small cafe in the Philly Burb of Malvern, Pa and the "Chef" behind the counter asked, "Whats that? a salad?"

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Exactly, but the majority of the country (sans metropolitan areas) have never heard of Bubble Tea.

I don't recall ever seeing a Bubble Tea, not hearing anybody mention having had one.

SB :huh:

Bubble tea, jelly drinks. etc. are very popular here in Hawaii, but a large percentage of the population is Asian-American... most of the drinks are either freshly made or Asian canned brands. Even Jamba Juice is offering "chewy" drinks now.

It would be my guess that the main reason they haven't caught on with "middle America" is that none of the major U.S. beverage manufacturers has dared to market one yet.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I'm American, typically so, I am sure. I can not stand the textures of most gelatinous foods or drinks. Jello/jelly just disgusts me to no end, as does grass jelly, basil seed drinks and those little cups of fruity jelly.That said, I like tapioca pudding, red bean jelly and pastes, green coconuts and light coatings of aspic.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I'm probably like Rebecca. Gelatinous/slimy things in general don't get a thumbs up from me. Anything in aspic? Yesh. Why would anyone choose jelly over jam? Why *is* the jelly so mobile when you put in on the peanut butter? Jam stays in place.

I don't mind a little tapioca pudding or a little Jello every now & then...but I don't want to... drink it. Drinking something chewy would remind me of spoiled milk with chunks in it. Bleh.

From the calorie counts indicated above, looks like this is not a mental hurdle I need to get myself over, either. :wink:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

It's big out here in Los Angeles but it's been big for a long, long time.

I first remember seeing it and trying it in Los Angeles's Southeast Asian cafes in fruit drinks that came with long [several inches long] grated immature [gelatinous] coconut shavings in the drink. The drink comes with a fat straw to suck up the colored tapioca pearls at the bottom of the glass ... and a long teaspoon.

Now all sorts of bubble tea, volcano tea, & Boba are sold in stores that specialize in these drinks. In fact, I noticed even my local Oaxacan restaurant advertises Boba!!!

Also, Boba or tapioca pearls sold on eBay.

BTW, this puts me in mind of an article about how Snapple flopped in Japan becasue the Japanese don't like cloudy drinks. But for me, a diet Peach Snapple hits the spot!

Pan? Theres a big country between NYC and LA

Widely available in Atlanta, at least in-town Atlanta. My daughter had one yesterday, in fact.

I've never seen them...or, I'm just not looking for them. I prefer my calories from food ;)

(and better drinks)

Edited by Reignking (log)

Those tapioca balls are filling cause they they are about 600 calories a drink on top of the 500 in the tea. They make Konnyaku boba pearls that have virtually no calories.

:shock: 1100 calories in a regular bubble tea drink? And I guess my prefered flavours like taro and pudding would pack in even more calories! I had no idea. Asian kids drink these all the time and they're still teeny! And I usually eat the thick toast with condensed milk as a snack whenever I have one of these drinks! Oops. :unsure: