• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gremolata

arriba!

I will be making gremolata for dinner tonight and would like to make it this afternoon. Will it suffer by sitting? I figured the parsley would darken but wondered if the lemon zest woud help keep it longer?

Hi - love the Gremolata!

It will lose a bit of its vibrancy if you make it too early - actually the acid in the lemon juice will attack the herbs and cause them to lose some of their colour. If you can I'd make it at the last possible minute as it will taste and look much fresher.

If you really want to make it early don't worry it will be still be good - just not as "fresh" tasting or looking.

By the way if you have any left over you can freeze it quite successfully.

I will be making gremolata for dinner tonight and would like to make it this afternoon.  Will it suffer by sitting?  I figured the parsley would darken but wondered if the lemon zest woud help keep it longer?

Try steaming parsley for 30 seconds to 1 minute and shock in ice water to set the color. That might help a bit.