• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Camping Meals and Snacks

gknl

bacon on toast

breakfast, lunch, dinner, midnight, doesn't matter.

bacon on toast

:-)

Just add some peanut butter and you better really good sandwich with lots of protein. Just spread peanut butter on one side of two slice of bread, add three or four slices of bacon and away you know!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

The one meal that is always planned out is what my family calls "Hobo Dinners", this is a family tradition that goes back to when my mother was a little girl going camping with her parents.

Ground beef formed into a patty put in a foil pouch surrounded and stacked with potatoes, tomatoes, onions and what ever strikes your fancy as far as seasonings go and cooked over the camp fire. There is actually a science to this as you try to get the right amount of tomatoes so that it cooks correctly and adds the moisture your looking for.

If we didn't have these while camping there would be a major revolt from family members. And is one of my first memories of going camping as a child.

Camp cooking ( and its planning ) is my favorite part of the trip!! I usually do canoe tripping but since I now have a young daughter I can see a few car camping trips in my future.

We have had great success doing cornish hens on a spit.

Biscuits in the coals ( I have created an 'oven' by using tin foil pie plates; two on the top and two on the bottom with small clips to hold them together ) that works quite well. I have found that savory biscuits work better than cinnamon & raisin ones as the sugar will burn if the heat gets too much.

Fajitas work really well on a fire. Tortillas don't crush no matter how many times the pack gets tossed around but they seem even tastier if you make them fresh out there.

Bring lots of foil... toss a few heads of wrapped up garlic in the coals for roasted garic with almost any meal. Cut some sweet onions into quarters stopping short of cutting all the way through , drizzle some beef bullion and melted butter into them, wrap them up and let them sit in the coals for a half hour.

Almost anything you like to eat at home can be made over a campfire.

Have fun!!

Foil works great but I am a little leery of aluminum. I figure that I can use leaves (cabbage), husks, maybe parchment paper - but other bright ideas about foil alternatives?

Thanks.

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

The Missouri Department of Conservation has a great monthly magazine and this month they had this article, "Dutch Oven Cooking 101" which has recipes for zucchini bake, pineapple upsidedown cake, and roast chicken and veggies. It seems to be a great resource for the basics on how to set up a DO.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was seeking!

I'm a member of the Society of Creative Anachronism. My friend's birthday happened to coincide with an event, so I ended up cooking her birthday dinner on a two burner propane camp stove. I made lamb tagine. This involved two pots and one mixing bowl, not too hard to haul around. In one pot, I took lamb chunks tossed with olive oil, tumeric, pepper, and ginger, and simmered them with a ton of sliced onions, with just enough water to cover the mixture. I would have rather used stock but needs must as the devil drives. The second pot was cubed yams, dried apricots, rose water, honey, lemon juice and cinnamon sticks. When the potatoes cooked through and the onions softened, they got combined and simmered for about twenty minutes more, if I remember rightly. In the meantime I cleaned the mixing bowl and made cous cous in it. I will rustle up the recipe if people would like it.

Wow! Yes, please!!!

Car 'Camping'?!?!

C'mon...that ain't camping!!! :P

Go for 3 or 4 nights in the back country and hike in a good 3 hours, then we can talk recipes!  (one of our favourites is taco salad in a bag!)

If it were just myself and a friend, I'd do backpacking, but our group has a member with medical issues that make backpacking impossible. I happen to like car camping, anyway.