• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weiss chocolate

annachan

While shopping for bulk chocolate last year, we came across Weiss, a French chocolate. We sampled several versions and they tasted amazing! That caramel undertone in the chocolate is simply divine. It's quite expensive, $10+/lb, even at bulk. They're now available at Andronico's for $12.99/lb. (In buttons form, sold in clear containers with just a label on the bottom, mixed in with the rest of the fancy chocolates.) I'm tempted to get some to make truffles but it's so pricey. Not something I can afford to get a lot of just to experiment with. So, I'm wondering if anyone has used it and has any thought on it.

Annachan, I have a 4kg box of Weiss milk buttons (37% cocoa) which I have used to make some mocha truffles and some solid milk shapes.

I am having problems working with milk chocolate generally as it goes very viscous on me but I do really like the flavour of this particular milk. As you mention the chocolate has a caramel note to it.

I can buy it in the UK cheaper than your US supplier so the cost is not such a big problem. (I paid about 6.50 uk pounds per kilo which I think is 6 US dollars per lb) It is cheaper for me than Valrhona but still a very good quality I think.

I am going to buy some dark chocolate Weiss when I place my next order. I am encouraged that you tried several and liked them. I cannot buy this in small retail bars so I am having to get 4kg just to get a taste!

$6 a lb! I'm jealous! Over here, Weiss is about the same as Valrhona.

One Weiss' website, there is a chart that indicate which chocolate is good for what, so that can be useful in helping decide which chocolate to get.

Let me know how the dark turns out. I hope to hear some good news.

Anna, Village Imports carries some Weiss products. They have an open warehouse sale once a month. Check out their website and it usually has some information. From what I can see, they don't have the white, but they supposedly carry several versions of their bittersweet/semisweet chocolates. Cheaper than $10/lb from what I can tell.

(they are located near the SF airport in Brisbane)

Anna,

also try marque foods www.marquefoods.com they are not too far from you in south san francisco and they do carry weiss.

Luis

I love Marque! That's really my go-to place for bulk.

Marque Foods is where I was introduced to Weiss. But the prices per lb is still quite high, at least it was at the end of last year. Back then, I believe it was still quite a new product and Marque was not selling Weiss in large quantities. I was told that it would be around $10/lb. I will check with them again though and see if anything has changed.

Anna,

also try marque foods www.marquefoods.com they are not too far from you in south san francisco and they do carry weiss.

Luis

Marque Foods is where I was introduced to Weiss. But the prices per lb is still quite high, at least it was at the end of last year. Back then, I believe it was still quite a new product and Marque was not selling Weiss in large quantities. I was told that it would be around $10/lb. I will check with them again though and see if anything has changed.

I've never priced out weiss at marque foods. Let us know what it prices out to.

Luis

• 3 months later...
Anna,

Luis

I've never priced out weiss at marque foods. Let us know what it prices out to.

Luis

I just got around to calling Marque. It has Weiss at a really good price right now! 8.8 lb is $50.35 for milk and $49.90 for dark!!!!! Will be picking some up in a few weeks.