• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are Kajunettes

I came across this recipe in an old cookbook from SE PA. but the recipe may be from somewhere else, as this is one of those community cookbooks. The recipe below is exactly as written.

Kajunettes

Dough:

2 c flour

1 stick of butter or margarine

1 tsp of baking powder

½ tsp salt

½ tsp vanilla

1 egg

¼ c warm water

Mix together and refrigerate overnight. Roll dough very thin like ravioli, fill and seal the edge with a fork, so the cookies don't come apart when deep fried. After filling is in and dough is sealed deep fry in fat and place in paper towels and sprinkle with 4X sugar.

Filling:

1 lb of chestnuts cooked and mashed

½ lb of english walnuts toasted

½ lb of almonds toasted and ground

½ lb of chocolate bits ground

2 ozs ground citron

2 ozs whiskey

16ozs of honey

I googled this by the method and ingredients and found this link: Caggionetti and the person asking for the recipe called them "caganettes." So I don't think there is a definitive name for them. I also found a few very similiar recipes simply called "Italian filled cookies."

I live in SE PA and my guess is that people who came from different towns in Italy had a slightly different name for the same cookie or even if they came from the same town when they learned to write English each person transcribed it a little differently. The word for chestnut in Italian is "castagne," which to me appears related to all those names.