• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vitamins: Tablet form

Green leafy vegetables (collards, spinach, mustard, turnips, beet greens, etc.), lots and lots of them.

Great nutritional bang for the buck, and relatively cheap.

Maybe taking them with something thick and substantial would help....like a Bloody Mary !  :shock:

Does anyone have any experience with the JUICE PLUS LINE ? I like the concept of that better than "vitamins" but it is probably all hype and marketing.  :huh:

No, but you reminded me that my daughter is now hooked on Vitamin Water and I love it too, though I regret the price of it as it seems silly to me to pay for water, though I do. :huh:

It tastes like light koolade. And it seems to promise a full days worth of vitamins in each bottle, but read closely as it really does not and some basic things are missing, like enough calcium.

It seems to be an up and coming thing. Coca-Cola Co. just bought the brand recently . . .

The Coca-Cola Co., which has been looking to expand its water and energy drink portfolio, said Friday it has agreed to buy Vitamin Water maker Glaceau in a cash deal valued at $4.1 billion.

The world's largest beverage maker said the agreement to acquire Energy Brands Inc., known as Glaceau, provides Atlanta-based Coca-Cola (KO) with a strong platform to grow its "active lifestyle" beverages.

. . . and it has some fabulous television ads.

Pretty good stuff. And no, it does not make me queasy when drinking it. Just worried about why I am spending money on water. :biggrin::blink:

Well, now, that's an idea that never even occurred to me. :huh: I could do that , as long as it isn't too sweet. (I don't do sweet very well) I like Lemon Propel....how does it compare to that? I also HATE the taste of bottled water generally. Geez, I'm picky. :hmmm:

ETA: and it HAS to cost less than vitamins, right?

Edited by dockhl (log)

Mmm . . . it tastes better than Propel, to me.

As far as the cost goes, I think the last bottle of 30 multi-vitamins I bought cost around twelve dollars or so. It would take two bottles of the "50/50" variety of Vitamin Water at a dollar fifty or so per bottle to equal that so at three dollars a day times thirty days that makes ninety dollars a month.

That's just for one person.

When you consider that now my son also likes this stuff, if we all drink it that makes two hundred seventy dollars a month in Vitamin Water.

:shock: See what I mean? :sad:

I used to need to make money so I could afford to live in New York City.

Now my life has devolved to the point where I need to make money to buy Vitamin Water. :biggrin:

It does taste good, though. Sigh.

I AM OBSESSED with Vitamin water, and fruit water (same maker, just the clear version of the colored vitamin water. Fruitwater is clear, and is even a tad bit weaker in sweetness than vitamin water.)

I usually go through about 3-4 a day of fruitwater, at 1.89 each (that is the Chicago price at my grocery store, but vitamin water is a little less like 1.79 or 1.69 a bottle, I drink both so average it out and its 3-4 a day at an average of 1.79 and I almost spend a whopping 7.20 each day on this beverage).

I need to investigate buying in bulk from the manufacturer!

As far as vitamins, I do not take any. Although maybe I should!

Mmm . . . it tastes better than Propel, to me.

As far as the cost goes, I think the last bottle of 30 multi-vitamins I bought cost around twelve dollars or so. It would take two bottles of the "50/50" variety of Vitamin Water at a dollar fifty or so per bottle to equal that so at three dollars a day times thirty days that makes ninety dollars a month.

That's just for one person.

When you consider that now my son also likes this stuff, if we all drink it that makes two hundred seventy dollars a month in Vitamin Water.

:shock: See what I mean?  :sad:

I used to need to make money so I could afford to live in New York City.

Now my life has devolved to the point where I need to make money to buy Vitamin Water.  :biggrin:

It does taste good, though. Sigh.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

The only way I can take a multivitamin or anything with B vitamins in it is to take it with a *very* full meal. Breakfast isn't enough, lunch often isn't, either. So if I feel the need for a B vitamin boost or a multi, I take it with dinner and a good amount of water. Otherwise I end up with a lot of nausea.

Edited by tejon (log)

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

:huh:

I've taken a multivitamin pill a day pretty much my entire life -- always after a full meal, and always making sure I'm hydrated thoroughly (if nausea visits, it always seems to be after singing three or four concerts on a hotly-lit stage with not enough water available). There are weeks when my diet is home-cooked and exemplary, and there are weeks when it all just goes to diner hell. The vitamins seem to smooth out the hills and valleys in that regard.

And in my deep doddering age (53), I still enjoy running a schedule that drops twentysomethings straight from the conservatory in their tracks. I conclude I'm doing the right thing(s) for myself...

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I'm with Tina Turner, I don't like the way they make me feel. Very often I feel nauseated after taking them, and even if I don't, I just feel kind of hopped up in an unpleasant way. Before I stopped taking them altogether, I learned never to take them in the evening because they disturbed my sleep. Also, the yellow pee just seems wrong. No real food gives you pee that color!