• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Reservations

Kayakado

This is kind of off topic but.... it is a food movie of sorts. Does it annoy anyone else that the US film market feels they need to remake good foreign films so the american public will go to see them. Geesh....I am sure they will again take a good movie and totally screw it up. That list alone could be endless!

I assume an American version of Mostly Martha is being done.

I liked the original very much also and reading titles does not disturb me.

I doubt very much that Hollywood can improve it.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I saw the preview last night before we saw "Ratatouille". I don't like to make judgements based just on previews, and I realize that No Reservations appears to be about relationships, a family situation, etc., but ironically the Rat movie appeared to be way more realistic about the world of restaurant cooking that No Reservations, but judgement will be reserved. Anybody remember "Spanglish"? Hardly realistic, but that's not Hollywood. By the way, when I saw the title- No Reservations- I was hoping it would have been a movie featuring Tony Bourdain. Oh well.

Mark A. Bauman

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the trailer for this at Televisionwithoutpity.com. It has Aaron Eckhart and Catherine Zeta-Jones, so as far as actors go, that's good... It was playing without sound but I could already tell it was schmaltzy. I don't know the story of Mostly Martha, so this looks interesting...

(Opens July 27)

Edited by jumanggy (log)

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the movie today. Enjoyable and worth seeing. Looks like it was shot in a working kitchen. Any foodie will enjoy it. Good details like at the end of service in one scene Aaron Eckhart is seen holding a espresso cup winding down. Nice touch.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to be a spoilsport, but the movie was painful to watch--especially since I have an affinity for the original German movie. I went in with an open mind and was still very disappointed. I suggest you see the original if you have not already.

I went to see this, primarily because I wanted to see how they did around the food. It was okay; didn't hate it outright but not something I'd rave about.

One thing that popped to mind when Zeta-Jones spoke about quail during the opening sequence was Bubba Blue saying:

"Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried…"

Now to find Mostly Martha and compare.