• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Podcasts

aliaseater

Leonard Lopate, on WNYC public radio in NY has some wonderful guests talking about food, wine, restaurants, etc. It's a general talk show, so you have to go through the recent archives to find the downloadable podcasts of food-related shows, but it's easy to do and worthwhile.

Mark A. Bauman

• 5 months later...
I recommend KCRW's Good Food, hosted by Evan Kleiman.  The market report and restaurant reviews are LA-specific, but enjoyable nevertheless.  The interviews are entertaining-- often someone flogging a book (ie Ted Allen) but also covering wide-ranging food and wine topics.  I was moved to tears by a segment on eating disorders.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/gf

Jen

I agree. Evan's show is wonderful. Highly recommended.

• 6 years later...

What are you currently listening to that constitutes a rut?

KCRW's Good Food and Lynn Rosetto Kasper's Splendid Table aren't new but still my favorite food podcasts.  Sometimes I like listening to Dave Arnold's Cooking Issues, too.

Edited to add that I've been meaning to give Radio Cherry Bombe a listen but haven't gotten around to it.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered Gastropod, which focuses more on the science and history of food than cooking per se, and it's excellent. Highly recommended.

You can also check out the archives over at the Heritage Radio Network, which hosts Cooking Issues (another of my favorites). There are a ton of different programs/shows to browse through. "A Taste of the Past" is one of my favorites.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I saw this noted on EYB the other day and finally got around to listening to the first two episodes of Yotam Ottolenghi's podcast, Simple Pleasures

The premise is that a different guest visits him to chat and eat a meal.  The first guest was Nadiya Hussain, who won the Great British Bake Off a few seasons back and the second episode features Nigella Lawson.

Not sure if this will just be a limited run to flog his new book, Simple  - his website has a link to a recipe from the book for each episode - or if it will continue.   

The slow-cooked chicken with a crisp corn crust from the Nigella Lawson episode sounds awfully good!

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add link to book (log)
  • Like 2

Okay...how many times can you say "crisp corn crust" quickly, without tripping over your tongue? :P

• Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 2 weeks later...

I already plugged this podcast just upthread but I'm doing it again.  Last night, I spent a most relaxing hour listening to the 3rd episode of Yotam Ottolenghi's Simple Pleasures podcast where his guests are Lin-Manuel Miranda and his wife, Vanessa Nadal.   Whoever is producing/editing these episodes is doing a wonderful job capturing the casual conversations between Yotam and his guests.  This was was particularly fun to listen to the two of them fanboy over each other. Just what I needed after I overdosed on much less pleasant news and commentary.

And the linked recipe for braised eggs with leek and za’atar (from his new book, Simple) sounds delicious.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, blue_dolphin said:

And the linked recipe for braised eggs with leek and za’atar (from his new book, Simple) sounds delicious.

Thank you.  The recipe does look delicious. But the thing I noticed most about it was the notation that much of it could be made ahead of time. Not sure what it is with me these days but I do like to get well ahead of my shortened battery life. 😂

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog