• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Podcasts

aliaseater

Please post only the best!

I cannot swear that these are the best, since I have not listened to very many podcasts.

I especially enjoy the segment "Hidden Kitchens" on NPR, and it is available here.

I also like the podcasts available from the series Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie.

NPR has a "Food Podcast" that is pretty good (listen here).

NPR also had some podcasts featuring Gordon Ramsey, but I did not enjoy those very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend KCRW's Good Food, hosted by Evan Kleiman. The market report and restaurant reviews are LA-specific, but enjoyable nevertheless. The interviews are entertaining-- often someone flogging a book (ie Ted Allen) but also covering wide-ranging food and wine topics. I was moved to tears by a segment on eating disorders.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/gf

Jen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't promise this is "only the best", but I'm an avid listener to The Splendid Table and think it deserves a high rating. Each week the show features a Road Food segment by Jane and Michael Stern, a couple of interviews with some writer or chef or food explorer, a trivia challenge and a (pre-recorded) call-in section where Lynne answers questions. I swear I've gained 10 lbs since I started listening to that show.

The Splendid Table now can be downloaded in podcast form. Follow this link to get to their podcast page; otherwise, if you just go to The Splendid Table's home page you'll find a link to that week's show podcast.

Edited by Smithy
Speling, as usual (log)
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 4 months later...

Food Philosophy is a good one and I have to agree on Splendid Table, I really love that one. Some of the podcasts with Bon Apetite are good too. Sometimes the podcasts for Food Philosophy and Bon Apetite are video as are the podcasts from Gourmet.

I recommend KCRW's Good Food, hosted by Evan Kleiman.  The market report and restaurant reviews are LA-specific, but enjoyable nevertheless.  The interviews are entertaining-- often someone flogging a book (ie Ted Allen) but also covering wide-ranging food and wine topics.  I was moved to tears by a segment on eating disorders.

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/gf

am i the only one having difficulty playing the videos from this podcast?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Right now I'm watching Inside the CIA on epicurious - follows a group of students through culinary school. It's kind of interesting to see what really goes on day-to-day - and how much like a regular college it is.

I know jamie oliver has a podcast, so i'll probably check that out and some of the stuff on food and wine. So far the CIA is keeping me occupied during my morning commute (train).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I grabbed the Cook's Illustrated the other day. They are alright - but they have a tendency to really rush through things (and sometimes not give you ingrediant quantities "dump in the flour" - um, how much?)

The CIA student thing - the student blog comments are pretty worthless - i stopped downloading those after week 3. But I still liked the day to day part.

I'm watching Jamie Oliver's podcast now. It's alright - but probably better as a tv show - and he spends A LOT of time introducing his cast on every episode.

The Food and Wine podcasts are great - especially Jose Andres. Loved all of his (especially the bit on watermelon).

And I downloaded some other podcast - Food Science? Yeah, don't do that. It was pretty worthless.

Still enjoying my new toy. :)

I found the Jose Andres at Food and Wine: http://www.foodandwine.com/articles/podcasts (it will take you to itunes - i don't have an ipod but still able to download)

They also list recipes for those who don't want to take the time to download. His energy and enthusiasm was amazing - and his kids were very cute. I really loved what he did with watermelon - showed lots of thinking outside the box - something you don't get often watching cooking programming.

I watched a video podcast from Jamie Oliver that kind of puzzled me. He was grilling a ribeye in a cast iron pan. He insisted that you need to flip it every minute or it wouldn't be done properly and seemed to be reinforcing the meme that searing seals in juices, even though his technique goes against everything I've ever learned about cooking a steak.

Now, he's a real chef, and I'm not. But this still puzzled me.

Hi,

I really like Mark Bittman's videos at the New York Times.

http://tinyurl.com/3b3cdy

and for a more independent take on internet video I like a girl named DeDe who does a show out of her kitchen cooking traditional middle eastern classics.

http://youtube.com/user/dedemed

and finally, I have a video podcast called Fearless Cooking that you can download through iTunes or watch at http://www.FearlessCooking.tv Sorry for the shameless plug. :rolleyes:

I produce the shows myself out of my kitchen.

Grace

Grace Piper, Producer/Host

Watch my cooking show at FearlessCooking.tv or subscribe through iTunes

Hailed by CNN as the Internet personality to “cook cable’s goose.”

iTunes calls Piper "an awesome mixture of personality and audacity."

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

• 4 months later...

Well, I've listened to almost every archived episode of Lynn Rosetto-Kaspar's The Splendid Table about a dozen times online while doing housework, and now I'm curious about other programs...

Anyone have any recommendations of good radio/podcast shows for gourmets? (something that can be streamed online)

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

NPR has podcasts to listen to that are often interesting and

Food Philosophy is always enjoyable. Some of those are video podcasts but you can listen to them too.

Bon Apetite

Chefs Kitchen

Hungry Magazine

Gourmet's Diary of a Foodie is available as a podcast too.

Grape Radio

Napa Valley Wine Radio

Off the Broiler is still always good too

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

Well, I've listened to almost every archived episode of Lynn Rosetto-Kaspar's The Splendid Table about a dozen times online while doing housework, and now I'm curious about other programs...

Anyone have any recommendations of good radio/podcast shows for gourmets? (something that can be streamed online)

I've enjoyed listening to "The Restaurant Guys". You can find it on itunes.