• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ultra-easy 'Creme Brulee'

Bueno

This is something I do all the time, but have never spoken of. Why? Because, well, it's embarrassing. But in the name of good Chow, I shall let you in on my dirty little secret.

I take a few store-bought pudding cups (ie. vanilla snack-pak) and empty them into a ramekin. Smooth them out, and top them with raw / demarara / brown sugar, and torch them a la creme brulee (or use the oven broiler).

Voila! Instant creme brulee. If like me, you're in Ontario, I suggest using the President's Choice Vanilla Bean pudding as your base. It's very tasty and makes for a very successful creme brulee-esque experience. :)

Creative, an interesting slide of hand.

Years ago I took store bought lemon sherbet and stirred in fresh lemon peel and some lemon seeds. When asked if I had made this wonderful sherbet I said, of course, I did.

Same concept. Same slide of hand.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Oh, I don't actually take credit for it's creation! Hahah, not that I'm against the idea.

You stirred in lemon SEEDS? Isn't the idea to NOT eat the seeds of a lemon?

And please excuse my anal nit-picking, but the express is "sleight of hand", not "slide of hand". Pet peeve. :)

Cheers!

-Bueno

Edited by Bueno (log)

Creative, an interesting slide of hand. 

Years ago I took store bought lemon sherbet and stirred in fresh lemon peel and some lemon seeds. When asked if I had made this wonderful sherbet I said, of course, I did.

Same concept. Same slide of hand.

Jmahl

Lemon seeds? I always spit those out. They're bitter, and I thought they contained cyanide.

Michael aka "Pan"

I think the seeds are so the guests think, gee, s/he missed a seed when squeezing all those fresh lemons while slaving over this dish.... All part of the clever ruse.