• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Gujarati Food

ErinB

I recently went to Chowpatty in Iselin, NJ. The menu has a whole section of "Gujarati Vegetable," with no descriptions. Actually nothing on the menu has descriptions. I am wondering what the most common Gujarati dishes are so that I know what to order next time.

I did some internet searches and am not able to translate any of the dishes, maybe it is how they spell them.

Vegetables (Gujarati):

Undhiya

Tuvar Ringan

Ringan Bataka

Tindora Bataka

Bhinda

Auro

Kaju Karela

Parvar Na Raviya

Kankola

I recently went to Chowpatty in Iselin, NJ.  The menu has a whole section of "Gujarati Vegetable," with no descriptions.  Actually nothing on the menu has descriptions.  I am wondering what the most common Gujarati dishes are so that I know what to order next time.

I did some internet searches and am not able to translate any of the dishes, maybe it is how they spell them.

ErinB,

here's my effort:

Undhiya ...a dish with eggplant, potatoes yam & broadbean.

Tuvar Ringan .....toorva dal and eggplant

Ringan Bataka......eggplant and potato

Tindora Bataka......tondli (small cucumber) and potato

Bhinda......bhindi or okra

Auro ....don't know

Kaju Karela .....cashew and karela (bitter melon)

Parvar Na Raviya...pointed gourd and baby eggplant

Kankola....don't know

hope that might help a bit

cheers

Waaza

Waaza, you hit the nail on the head with the descriptions.

I will add to some of yours:

Auro - its actually an eggplant dish - depending on the region - you either get it with onion - tomato - scallion - garlic or just garlic.

Similar to how baba-ghanoush is made (if I get time - I will post the pictorial).

Kankola - its like the tondli - though the seeds are tougher than the guava. I will try to get you a picture later.

Also, undhiyo has a nice history and recipes (atleast 2) - I will try to get them in also.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...