• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michael Smith Kansas City

tacovender

Received this email from Michael Smith & I can't wait to get my chow on!

Dear Friends,

We have been working furiously at Michael Smith over the past two months and we're making great progress. We're currently on track to open the first full weekend of July.

Our newly designed space is really exciting, both hip and urban, yet still warm and inviting. The design flows well, and I know we're all going to be pleased with the outcome.

Michael Smith's Chef de Cuisine, Carl Thorne-Thomsen and I are going through menu preparation this week, and so far, the results have been compulsively edible! Our initial menu will feature lamb rack, braised crispy pork, and sturgeon featuring local products from Campo Lindo Farms, Kurlbaum and Dan May.

….And then there's the WINE!! We've spent hours tasting and making selections for our new list. General Manager, Nancy Mellor and wine consultant Jamie Routledge have created a well balanced, highly drinkable and affordable wine program. Our service and kitchen staff is hired and... I can't wait to open the doors!

For those who are interested, Extra Virgin!! is on track for it’s debut in October.

Finally, and on a personal note. I want to thank all of you who encouraged and supported me over the last six months. Your help, and friendship has been worth more than I can ever express.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael D. Smith

Chef / Owner

Michael Smith restaurant

Extra Virgin!!

www.michaelsmithkc.com

"Beaners, gonna eat beans".......Cheech Martin

Hey tacovendor, welcome to the Heartland, and thanks for the heads up. I now have a new place check out the next time I am up. What is the address?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey tacovendor, welcome to the Heartland, and thanks for the heads up.  I now have a new place check out the next time I am up.  What is the address?

It's located in the crossroads. Thanks for the warm welcome.

"Beaners, gonna eat beans".......Cheech Martin

Hey tacovendor, welcome to the Heartland, and thanks for the heads up.  I now have a new place check out the next time I am up.  What is the address?

Lare,

It's in the old Zin space, SW corner of 20th & Main.

I realize reading the open letter that I've had the openings mixed-up all along, thinking that EV was opening soon and the eponymous resto in the fall. Oops.

Well, now I *am* excited.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Hey tacovendor, welcome to the Heartland, and thanks for the heads up.  I now have a new place check out the next time I am up.   What is the address?

Lare,

It's in the old Zin space, SW corner of 20th & Main.

I realize reading the open letter that I've had the openings mixed-up all along, thinking that EV was opening soon and the eponymous resto in the fall. Oops.

Well, now I *am* excited.

So this is a definite for First Friday then.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

So this is a definite for First Friday then.

Oooh. That would definitely be a "hard" opening (vs. a soft one, but also meaning difficult). The teeming hordes attacking a brand new restaurant. Oh the inhumanity! I don't know if I could make myself be a party to that . . . although we did go to 40 Sards on opening night. It was a Tuesday, though, IIRC.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Sounds Great.. My best wishes go out to the team at Michael Smith and Extra Virgin.

Can't wait to eat! :biggrin:

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Anyone seen a menu? Hours? Lunch? If no one knows maybe I'll call him and get the info and post.

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." - Sydney J. Harris

Anyone seen a menu? Hours? Lunch? If no one knows maybe I'll call him and get the info and post.

I've tried to stop by there at least a dozen times, hoping to get some intel. Michael is always visible through the plate glass but always in the midst of an animated conversation with someone (vendor, designer) and far be it from me to stand in the way of getting the doors open.

If you do call him, please share. Inquiring minds . . .

M.F.K. Fisher

Looks like Tuesday is the next target date for opening - the usual liquor license delay.

M.F.K. Fisher

Last night was the long-awaited opening. We arrived ~6pm and the dining room was maybe 1/4 full, the bar area already at capacity. The people continued filtering in throughout the night and it seemed that the dining room was mostly full for the next several hours, although my back was to the bulk of it and there was a very large, vibrant party at the table(s) next to us which may have added to the impression that it was full.

Out of 6 dishes and a dessert, most were hits. I'll post a full report this weekend but they appear to be off to a good start. I really like what they've done to the room, too. It should be a nice addition to The Crossroads. And we still have Extra Virgin to look forward to. Life is good.

M.F.K. Fisher

What's the story with Extra Virgin? I have a friend who recently moved to KC and is looking for work. She's a veteran of the business but has no connections out there.

thanks

Pan-Mediterranean tapas. Due to open in October. PM me, attaching the friend's resume/CV if possible, and I will distribute it as best I can.

M.F.K. Fisher

What's the story with Extra Virgin? I have a friend who recently moved to KC and is looking for work. She's a veteran of the business but has no connections out there.

thanks

Pan-Mediterranean tapas. Due to open in October. PM me, attaching the friend's resume/CV if possible, and I will distribute it as best I can.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
anyone know what days they're open for dinner and lunch?

I was just getting ready to write an expanded review of my dinner there and provide the hours, etc, and realized that I took the @#$% menus to my office and left them. I'll try to remember to post them first thing Monday morning - long before you get a day off from your indentured servitude. :laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, I'm at the office and looking at the menus but there aren't hours listed. I've also not found an official phone number. When I made opening night reservations I called the number on tacovendor's email and it was Michael's cell, so I guess you'll just have to try your luck. Smart money says they're open for lunch at least Mon-Fri, though.

M.F.K. Fisher

Well, I'm at the office and looking at the menus but there aren't hours listed. I've also not found an official phone number. When I made opening night reservations I called the number on tacovendor's email and it was Michael's cell, so I guess you'll just have to try your luck. Smart money says they're open for lunch at least Mon-Fri, though.

Dinners and Lunch Tuesday through Saturday. Closed Sunday and Monday.

Telephone number: 816.842.2202.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

As an add on to what moosnsqrl had written about the dining room, I found it to be a remarkable improvement over the old zin space. To be sure, it's certainly recognizable as the former zin, except now, to put more of a break between reception and dining room, they've moved two/three large wine shelves between the host stand and the first tables. I like this. The biggest improvement is the addition of a new wall that blocks the view into the kitchen from the front of the dining room (I believe diners in certain spots toward the back still can see in.). I also like the banquette options now.

The bar area is virtually unchanged.

Whereas it used to be warehousey and spartan, the space is now sleek and more industrial chic, if you will.

Food, overall, based on a couple-few visits (both services) is pretty good. The menus are glossy print on nice stock paper, so I don't assume they'll be changing them anytime too soon. Lunch plates range between $9-$13. Desserts are $5 at lunch, $7 at night. Dinner plates top off at $29, if I recall - with a smattering of appetizers and salads ranging roughly $5 for soup and the rest are $7-14.

Nice drink menu. The wine list is standard - I'm not a huge wine person, so I'll defer to those with more expertise - by the glass and of course bottles. Upcharge seems industry standard...

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

As an add on to what moosnsqrl had written about the dining room, I found it to be a remarkable improvement over the old zin space. 

I like it as well, but I told a couple of colleagues that it's open now. They were already planning to dine at 1924 so they just did a drive-by but they didn't think it looked open. I guess, after all those years of untreated windows, the curtains and large picture of young Michael threw them off.

I have a lunch there Wednesday; will let everyone know if the SmithBurger can hold its own against a JonesBurger :wink:

M.F.K. Fisher

As an add on to what moosnsqrl had written about the dining room, I found it to be a remarkable improvement over the old zin space. 

I like it as well, but I told a couple of colleagues that it's open now. They were already planning to dine at 1924 so they just did a drive-by but they didn't think it looked open. I guess, after all those years of untreated windows, the curtains and large picture of young Michael threw them off.

I have a lunch there Wednesday; will let everyone know if the SmithBurger can hold its own against a JonesBurger :wink:

Jonesburger, where do you get one of those?

Jonesburger, where do you get one of those?

Why, chez moi, naturellement. We could hardly call our signature sandwich a moosnsqrl burger, after all. And to bring this back on topic, the burger on Michael's menu really is called a "SmithBurger" - served with port ketchup, tomato and bleu cheese. I'm guessing that they will actually risk my life and serve it MR, to, unlike an unfortunate number of places who have caved-in to the tort laws.

M.F.K. Fisher