• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bok Choy

little ms foodie

I like it simply wok-fried with a little garlic and a basic sauce of soy, sesame oil, rice wine, whatever. But the easiest thing I know to do with it--if you have some Asian style chicken broth around--is to drop individual leaves into simmering broth for a couple of minutes and pour the broth over cooked rice or wheat noodles. Let it be a little crunchy. Makes a great one-pot meal, especially if you have some poached shredded chicken to add.

I normally just prepare them as a side with soy sauce, shaoxing rice wine and a splash of sesame oil at the end. I used to use them in stir frys but found that they could sometimes release too much water which made the sauce rather bland and so started doing them seperately. Lovely veg though along with pak choy as well!

Bok choy is so versatile! Usually it's just stir-fried with ginger & garlic, but it's delicious with some fermented bean curd thrown in or a spoonful of XO sauce (dried scallop & chili sauce). Sometimes I'll do a cold salad with a soy & sesame oil vinaigrette dressing.

You can use it the same way as chard for non-Asian preparations. My most inspired dishes were a bok choy & italian sausage pasta and a bok choy frittata. :smile: