• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Restaurant Recommendations

nothing beats a Schwart's Smoked Meat with a side of half sours, and some fries for a casual, very casual lunch. It does not get much more Montreal that this.

Cheap, authentic, and tasty.

My husband and I are adventurous eatings but without a lot of disposable income. We're looking for authentic, delicious food, but not at enormous prices. Anything distinctly "Montreal" is a plus. Any suggestions? Neither of us have been there before. Thanks!

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

Second the Au Pied de Cochon recommendation. My husband and I are in your position. The $130 Cdn or so that we spent was, frankly, a stretch but well worth it.

We've also enjoyed Le Paris, on Ste. Catherine, and Le Bourlingueur, on St.-Francis-Xavier at St. Paul. The food is solid, not spectacular, but the atmosphere at both struck us as "French." Whatever that means, it was what we were looking for.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

I would highly recommend Kitchen Gallerie. I was in Montreal for 3 days last month and ate the PDC, Joe Beef and KG. KG was the best of the bunch.

It is basically 3 chefs who do all the cooking, waiting tables, washing dishes. They have a prix-fixe menu and they get all their ingredients from the farmers market around the corner. It was pretty amazing.

They are at; 60, rue Jean-Talon E corner St-Dominique

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I would highly recommend Kitchen Gallerie.  I was in Montreal for 3 days last month and ate the PDC, Joe Beef and KG.  KG was the best of the bunch. 

It is basically 3 chefs who do all the cooking, waiting tables, washing dishes.  They have a prix-fixe menu and they get all their ingredients from the farmers market around the corner.  It was pretty amazing.

More and more, I'm hearing good things about Kitchen Gallerie. Are they an A V V place?

Edited by rcianci (log)

I would highly recommend Kitchen Gallerie.  I was in Montreal for 3 days last month and ate the PDC, Joe Beef and KG.  KG was the best of the bunch. 

It is basically 3 chefs who do all the cooking, waiting tables, washing dishes.  They have a prix-fixe menu and they get all their ingredients from the farmers market around the corner.  It was pretty amazing.

More and more, I'm hearing good things about Kitchen Gallerie. Are they an A V V place?

Apparently I was being obscure in my last post. My question is whether Kitchen Gallery is a fully licensed establishment, or a "bring your own wine" sort of place?

(A. V. V. = Apportez Votre Vin)

Edited by rcianci (log)

• 1 month later...

So I'm coming to Montreal for three days, two nights in April. Other than two dinners at APdC :biggrin: - what MUST I eat? What will it be possible for me to eat and, er, survive? What are the most essential things? I mean, yes, I know about Scwartz's -maybe not this trip, you know? I'm a pretty serious eater, but I plan on doing the really serious stuff at APdC. I'm staying near Parc de la Fontaine, so close to that would be swell. Other ideas are fine, too. Thanks in advance!

"Life itself is the proper binge" Julia Child

I'm sure others can speak better than me about the 'serious' dining opportunities, but one of my favourite things to do is to stroll around mile end, pick up some hot bagels from Fairmont (ask for them still warm and not too burnt) and then walk down Bernard for an ice cream at the Bilboquet.

Edit: Oh and also, check out la Paryse (ontario st, near st denis) for a wonderful burger if you're spending time in the latin quarter. Although I remember last time I went to ApDc, I didn't feel like meat for a week!

Edited by OliverN (log)

I've received some gifts of chocolate from Montreal, so I'm glad to know where to go! Thanks!

I am actually planning on the APdC poutine, so that should do me in for poutine for at least a year (assuming that I survive that long!). Thanks for the recommendations!

Les Chocolats de Chloe  on Roy near St Denis.

Get a Fleur de Sel Chocolate, it's one of the memorable food experiences of my life.

Poutine at La Banquise unless you are already doing the Foie Gras poutine at APDC.

Have fun!

Yes, I was already thinking about Fairmount bagels - sounds like a good plan to follow them with ice cream. I'd love to try the burger, but two nights at APdC has me thinking that the other meals should be lighter - sadly, this means no Schwartz's on this trip! Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm sure others can speak better than me about the 'serious' dining opportunities, but one of my favourite things to do is to stroll around mile end, pick up some hot bagels from Fairmont (ask for them still warm and not too burnt) and then walk down Bernard for an ice cream at the Bilboquet.

Edit: Oh and also, check out la Paryse (ontario st, near st denis) for a wonderful burger if you're spending time in the latin quarter. Although I remember last time I went to ApDc, I didn't feel like meat for a week!

If you want real good ice cream though, you'd be better off with Havre aux glaces at Jean-Talon market.

But Bilboquet will have the TIRE A LERABLE ice cream. violetfox, I recommend the tire a l'erable ice cream at Bilboquet, it's got delicious chunks of maple taffy in it, and it's only on sale for maple season, which may include the time you are here in April.

Edited by riboflavinjoe (log)

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

If you want real good ice cream though, you'd be better off with Havre aux glaces at Jean-Talon market.

But Bilboquet will have the TIRE A LERABLE ice cream. violetfox, I recommend the tire a l'erable ice cream at Bilboquet, it's got delicious chunks of maple taffy in it, and it's only on sale for maple season, which may include the time you are here in April.

Uh oh, I'd better try BOTH! I knew that this trip was going to be the best kind of trouble! Indeed, maple ice cream with chunks of maple taffy sounds irresistable, but I can't pass up Havre aux Glaces either.

Montreal IS a good city for walking, right? :biggrin:

Uh oh, I'd better try BOTH! I knew that this trip was going to be the best kind of trouble! Indeed, maple ice cream with chunks of maple taffy sounds irresistable, but I can't pass up Havre aux Glaces either.

Montreal IS a good city for walking, right? :biggrin:

Actually, yes. I find it a great city for walking. Have a great time.

The place I recommend to every single friend of mine that comes from Brazil to visit Montreal is Le Club Chasse et Peche. The porcelet risotto is to die for - not sure if they still have it on the menu. Their surf and turf - which isn't always one same meat and fish combo, but changes regularly - is another specialty.

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

The place I recommend to every single friend of mine that comes from Brazil to visit Montreal is Le Club Chasse et Peche. The porcelet risotto is to die for - not sure if they still have it on the menu. Their surf and turf - which isn't always one same meat and fish combo, but changes regularly - is another specialty.

I had been thinking about that - sounds great. Thanks!

Thank you - those are great! I wonder how many meals I can eat in three days, including two dinners at APdC? I'm glad to hear that Montreal is good for walking, that will help.

If you don't mind going a bit out of the city, Le Mitoyen is fantastic. It's about 10 miles outside downtown. Well worth the trip.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in as I plan my eating for my three days in Montreal - actually four. I haven't been to town for a while, need to hit up Joe Beef (personal reasons) and am staying right downtown with no transport except le Metro. I want good European food and I'm on a budget (budgets are for breaking, right?).

I've had the pleasure of La Chronique, and would love to go there again but don't think my schedule or budget will allow. Nor will I be affording a meal at Toque.

So I'm not looking for Asian as I'm based in Vancouver ... but I did notice on Chowhound a lot of people talking about Bankok (sp?) ... is this some special Thai place? Also, what about Au Petit Extra ?

Also, any recommendations for good lunch spots near Place Bonaventure as I'll be dining and dashing in the middle of the day?