• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Restaurant Recommendations

Avoid Toque, its crap... unbalanced dishes, small portions, snotty staff, overpriced for what they were serving. It was also empty when we went on a Friday night which should tell you something. Total tourist trap. Saving grace was their foie gras, excellent.

For the Montreal restaurant scene, it pretty much sucks as bad as Toque with the exception of Milos (high prices, but excellent quality fish). Save your money and drop it all in QC when you go to:

L'Initiale (just outside of the old city, old port)

Laurie Raphael (old port)

Both offer the best cuisine in QC and reasonably good wine lists. The focus at both of these restos are seasonal top-quality ingredients, which is something the Quebecois excel at. I would try L'Initiale for lunch and LR for dinner if they are open.

Lots of tourist traps in QC, so be careful. One highly-touted one to avoid is Serge Bruyere, absolute garbage.

I live for food and have eaten at many of the world's best, trust me when I tell you to avoid Toque... you will be disappointed. He tried opening a restuarant up in NYC and failed miserably... if you are foolish enough to dine there you will find out why he failed.

That said, check out the Atwater and Jean-Talon markets in Montreal as well as the old-port market in QC. Great cheeses (Berthaut raw milk Epoisses, Bouq D'Emissiare, Coulet Roquefort), bread and capicollo (Premiere Moisson), maybe even some late tomatoes if you go soon... all great.

Have fun.

You know Tom, I find your post offensive. Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but calling Toque! crap is beyond an opinion, it's a slur.

Also, regarding Cena, I wouldn't call a three-star rating in the NY Times a failure. I know why that restaurant closed, it sure doesn't sound like you do.

Do us all a favour, and take your far superior palate back to your city or to all the restaurants around the world you think are better.

I can tell you're new to eGullet. The people who have been here a while offer constructive criticism instead of using words like "crap" or "garbage" to describe food. I like to save words like that to describe vile foodies who should spend a week in a refugee camp in the Sudan with a bowl of rice.

We had a lot of great food in Montreal, everywhere we went. Definitely hit Chez Schwartz for a great cheap lunch, and Eggs... what's that place, Eggstravaganza? for breakfast or brunch.

And try the bagels. Must try the bagels.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

Ah, Lesley C, I agree with you on most accounts. However, I can think of one instance where "garbage" is required to describe a food item, and is done so with the utmost of respect.

mini_4115.jpg

Nick Tahou's "Garbage Plate" in Rochester, NY, USA. It makes poutine look like health food.

I have to agree with Lesley C also, Tom your remarks are crude. I appreciate your wanting to give some advice but honestly I think I'll take that of members who I know are constructive vs critical. Also I'll go with the advice from people who like the same restaurants/type of food/chefs that I tend to.

It's great to have new members but you might want to revise your strategy for communicating :wink:

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

You know Tom, I find your post offensive. Sure you're entitled to your opinion, but calling Toque! crap is beyond an opinion, it's a slur.

I'm not sure his remark is any different than Alexandra Gill's last August in the G&M re: Watermark in Vancouver ...

On the surface, this new $7-million restaurant is a mind-blowing stunner. But once you taste the crap coming out of the kitchen, the sheer waste of it all makes you want to cry.

If you want to take exception with Tom's post, question what his hidden agenda is, as it seems he has one. :hmmm:

Back OT, Club C et P sounds amazing. Haven't been to Quebec since I was in university, so I can only suggest The Peel :laugh:

A.

Back OT, Club C et P sounds amazing.  Haven't been to Quebec since I was in university, so I can only suggest The Peel :laugh:

:shock:

Ah… the hangout of many of McGill University's American and Ontarian contingent back when I was at the alma mater. Was dragged there once and watched a waiter make up a new pitcher by combining the (theoretically) unused remainders of other pitchers. :unsure:

Did I mention that my glass was dotted with little crusty bits and still had lipstick prints?

When I was at McGill Peel Pub was shut down for a while because of the recycled beer.  ick.

yes but this was the one on park avenue. all of them are garbage.

i think the guy has a point that toque is not great, certainly the only great thing there isthe foie gras and the price on the bill and the wine list. it is too serious now i likd it better as a bistrot in st denis

lesley what happened to n laprise restaurnt in new york? i did not hear of it even tho i lived there for years

When I was at McGill Peel Pub was shut down for a while because of the recycled beer.  ick.

Dating myself here... When I was at McGill, there was only one Peel Pub (corner of Peel and Ste-Catherine) and it was a gay tavern often referred to as the Real Rub.

Also, regarding Cena, I wouldn't call a three-star rating in the NY Times a failure. I know why that restaurant closed, it sure doesn't sound like you do.

Do us all a favour, and take your far superior palate back to your city or to all the restaurants around the world you think are better.

I can tell you're new to eGullet. The people who have been here a while offer constructive criticism instead of using words like "crap" or "garbage" to describe food. I like to save words like that to describe vile foodies who should spend a week in a refugee  camp in the Sudan with a bowl of rice.

Calling Toque! "crap" is clear, concise and unfortunately... correct. I know precisely why Cena closed as his close friend Daniel Vezina (owner of Laurie Raphael in QC) told me... the investors pulled the plug because they were only doing half of the revenue they needed to make it fly.

Maybe you should do a little bit of travelling. Like I said, Montreal is an excellent food city... but it certainly isn't a city with compelling restaurants.

I have to agree with Lesley C also, Tom your remarks are crude. I appreciate your wanting to give some advice but honestly I think I'll take that of members who I know are constructive vs critical. Also I'll go with the advice from people who like the same restaurants/type of food/chefs that I tend to.

It's great to have new members but you might want to revise your strategy for communicating  :wink:

I'm sure I came off as harsh, but that is because I felt so burned by my meal at Toque. I went in with fairly high expectations and everything from the front of the house attitude to the miniscule unbalanced portions of largely mediocre ingredients just elevated my blood pressure. Now when someone mentions Toque and the THOUGHT of wasting their time and money there. Abrasive or passionately opinionated well-intentioned person of few words? My only reward is saving you the disappointment.

You are a big girl and can make up your own mind, but consider yourself warned :)

Well this girl ate at Toque last Friday night and I definately wasn't served crap. And my service was excellent. Quality of food and presentation was also excellent. Was it on the cutting edge? No, the Spanish chef's still reign supreme in this category. Was it beautiful and tasty? YES!

I'll be posting a full trip report soon but just wanted you to know that it was no disappointment :smile:

I will be looking forward to your evaluation. But if I may ask a few questions?

Was Chef Laprise in the house?

What night did you visit on / how full was the resto?

When you say it wasn't cutting edge, how technically perfect was the execution (ie: Pacaud, Keller, McDonalds, Burger King)?

I am interested on your take regarding the restaurant, and moreover if you would return.

I'm assuming you had some good tomato dishes (they are really good in late Sept there)?

Was Chef Laprise in the house?

yes, in fact when he saw us taking photos he sent out the tasting menus for us to take with us (the tasting menu was a 'surprise', items weren't called out on the restaurant menu)

What night did you visit on / how full was the resto?

Friday night, 8:30 res. I didn't see any empty tables.

When you say it wasn't cutting edge, how technically perfect was the execution (ie: Pacaud, Keller, McDonalds, Burger King)?

Excution wasn't a problem, it was done just as well as what I've had at Taillevant or the French Laundry. The fois gras was amazing. I was referring to creativity. The dishes are being done elsewhere which is fine, my favorite dish was our 1st course of sea urchin served in the shell, I hadn't had this before and thought it really fun.

I am interested on your take regarding the restaurant, and moreover if you would return.

I wouldn't personally return as I don't get to Montreal so I would want to try out different places the next time I have a chance to visit. But I would recommend it to anyone looking for a very nice evening of beautiful food.

I'm assuming you had some good tomato dishes (they are really good in late Sept there)?

Not really although our tuna was on a tomato bread pudding..... I'll be posting pictures with full menu this weekend when I get a chance.

At the very least, I'm glad you enjoyed the foie gras... definitely top-notch, even on my visit. I don't know what he does to it, but I suspect it gets some sort of salt cure before the final preperation. In any case, I'm glad you experienced it as it was the only positive impression I had about the experience.

Do you think the level of execution is on the level of Tallievent? I find this one a severe stretch. I don't particularily care for Tallievent because it has an old and staid menu, but I certainly find it has top-notch technical execution no matter which chef M. Vrinat chooses. I don't feel Toque deserves similar praise.

Perhaps I was there in a rough time for the Chef (while he had his NYC resto). I will let a few more brave (non-local) souls report back before I chance that one again though :(

Looking forward to the full report and feel free to send me some of Armandino's salumi (yum) :P That is one place I wish we had in Toronto... his stuff is great. Curious though, have you tried his mole and what do you think of it?

I have been disapointed some times at Toqué but when Laprise is there and it's good, its really good. I have been disapointed to many of the great restaurants in the world but it dosen't mean these restaurants are ''crap''. Hey, Keller restaurants got some bad reviews and it dosen't mean that Per Se or the French Laundry are ''crap''.

Toqué is a excellent restaurant!

P.S. Better than Laurie and Initiale for sure. And BTW, it's all about L'Utopie in Quebec city.

Edited by jfl91 (log)

P.S. Better than Laurie and Initiale for sure. And BTW, it's all about L'Utopie in Quebec city.

This might be off topic. I like going to Utopie also JF but I have an issue with showing up in Quebec City, on a Wednesday night being alone in the place. I hope folks in Quebec City can get off the St-Rock "is bad and full prostitute" scare mongering. That whole area, needs some serious evening jump start on weekdays and Boudoir ain't gonna help any. It's kind of a shame that I would rather have fun eating a toulouse at 9:00PM at the bar of C du monde than look at my own reflexion in the windows of Utopie with excellent food. One can't help wonder about the plannar speakers, the decor, the sheer size of the place, the rent and the weekday volumes... I guess the place must be packed for lunch. They also have a very nice wine list.

Have you checked out the new Laurie Menu ? , it's pretty drastic change although I have not seen the undescribed plates.

I have never been really impressed by Daniel V.

I don't know about his new menu but I have been to his restaurant (also the old one) many many times. I prefer way more Toqué than Laurie. As for Utopie, I think it's not because of St-Rock but more of Quebec city in general. I think when you hit the bad season of the year, the mid-week are not easy.