• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matusalem

Ed Hamilton

After many years of court battles the Matusalem brand of rum is now being distilled and I believe, bottled in the Dominican Republic. I've been a fan of DR rums for a long time and used to drink at least my share of Matusalem when it was distilled in the Bahamas. A couple of years ago it was made in Lake Alfred, Florida, then St Croix. The bottle hasn't changed and although I have heard reports that the Lake Alfred blend didn't measure up to that from the Bahamas, the label still claims this to be Cuban style rum. In fact, if you don't read the label carefully you could easily get the impression that this was a product of Cuba.

Matusalem Gran Reserva used to be a very good rum, a little heavy on the vanilla but it was quite palatable. Has anyone tried the latest blend from the Dominican Republic. I was surprised at the price of $30 a bottle in Chicago, so much so that I didn't buy it. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to do so next week.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

According to Luis Ayala it is bottled in BOTH florida and the Dom. Republic. The Dom Republic one only is sold in South America, supposedly. He interviewed the owner of Matusalem recently for his newsletter so I would imagine he would know the skinny on this. The only reason why I know this is I asked him about it about a month ago!

The two bottles I have are the Florida ones, and I bought them both over the last year in two different parts of the country.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

First let me say that Luis and I are friends and that he is reporting what he was told. I saw Matusalem in Chicago about 10 days ago that was Product of the Dom. Rep.

This wouldn't be the first time that we've been told something that wasn't entirely accurate. Obviously the owner of the brand didn't know that there are people who look beyond what he says.

Luis and I had a drink a couple of weeks ago and he was surprised that Matusalem was coming from the Dom Rep. But the newsletter was already published by then.

Oh well, good job Luis, now we know a little more about Matusalem.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Yeah, I guess they must have shifted production over entirely to the Dom. Republic then. They must have only had 2 facilities running for a few months.

I guess the economy affects everyone, including Matusalem.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Greetings all,

I have communicated with Jim Tirrel from Matusalem a few times via email and phone. Let me try and contact him again to get the scoop on this.

I will reply if I am successful.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

James A. Michener - Caribbean

• 4 weeks later...

This evening I opened bottles of Matusalem Gran Reserva and Matusalem Classico .

Here are my intial notes on which I will expand in the coming week as I drink more of these rums.

Matusalem Gran Reserva, 15 solera blender

warm spice nose leads to cinnamon on a viscous citrus body accented by mild pepper followed by a smoky pecan finish

Matusalem Classico, 10 solera blender golden hue

delicate floral nose, vanilla, spice and tropical fruit body followed by a lingering charcoal finish

According to Skyy Spirits, LLC, a subsidary of the Campari Group, and the exclusive distributor and marketer of Ron Matusalem in the United States solera aging is a process of blending rums of different ages into one. The oldest rum is stored on the lowest level of the aging warehouse, successively younger rums inhabit the higher floors with the youngest rums on top. As rum is pulled from the lowest solera barrels for bottling, it’s replaced with rum from the barrels in the next higher level. This process is repeated with the remaining shelves. No more than one-third of each cask is drawn off every three months.

Using the solera system, Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva bottled contains rum that ranges from eight to 32 years old. The 15-year solera is an an average of the blended years.

Since this rum is now being distilled and bottled in the Dominican Republic I was surprised that it appeared to be lighter than some of my favorites from the eastern side of Hispaniola.

These are also the people who made vodka in a blue bottle the leading brand of vodka.

Has anyone else tasted the latest Matusalem?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

Ed,

Did you get the media package from Jim?

I am glad that you went out and bought the New Matusalems. I will let you know what I think of the Calssico early this week.

Cheers

"Traveler, you who sail into the Caribbean in silvered yacht or gilded cruise ship, pause as you enter these waters to remember that deep below rest three men of honor who helped determine the history of this onetime Spanish Lake: Sir John Hawkins, builder of the English navy; Sir Francis Drake, conqueror of all known seas; Admiral Ledesma, stubborn enhancer of his king's prerogatives and the interests of his own strong family"

I looked at my bottle last night, it is the Dominican. Since I had the bottle out anyway, went ahead and started drinking. I love this rum.

This is my first bottle, bought in Chicago at Sam's when I was on vacation (August). I have never seen it on a shelf here in Indy, so I can't say how it compares to the older stuff.

Quite a shame that many of the better rums don't find a spot on the shelves.

I cant say I like this Gran Reserva as much as the previous version. I'm glad I have 2 bottles of the old one. Its a bit of a disappointment.

Have a little of the Cuban left, which I will finish tonight. :cool:

Just got 2 bottles of the Cuban stuff. Very smooth.

Jason, which one do you have from Cuba? Is it the Anejo Superior?

Look on the bottom of the label and see if you find the following:

• Destilado Y Embotellado Por: Corporation Cuba Ron S.A. La Habana Cuba

If so, that is the real one from Cuba. It's my all time favourite rum. Although my tastes have evolved since I last had a bottle. I'd love to get my hands on another one.

Dan

Jason, which one do you have from Cuba?  Is it the Anejo Superior?

Look on the bottom of the label and see if you find the following:

• Destilado Y Embotellado Por:  Corporation Cuba Ron S.A. La Habana Cuba

If so, that is the real one from Cuba.  It's my all time favourite rum.  Although my tastes have evolved since I last had a bottle.  I'd love to get my hands on another one.

Dan

Oh its the cuban one all right. Anejo Superior, in the tall bottle with the white plastic cap.

Greetings,

Nice to see you back Kendall. Where have you been hiding, in the cigar forums no doubt?

I too can order bottles on line, but I'm a little concerned in the fact of giving my credit card number to some e-based liquor store in Germany. Will the bottle ever reach my door in Montreal? Will I get charged duty, or will the Canadian Government simply seize it if the look in the package?

These are the questions that preoccupy Canadian rum drinkers everywhere.

So the inevitable question is, Have any of you ever ordered rum online from foreign countries and if so what was the result?

Cheers