• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining suggestions in & around the Village

epicurious

This is a follow up to my previous post... I now have booked in Greenwich so I would like to get dining suggestions for that area as well as surrounding neighborhoods. Anything from low to high end... as long as it is great!! Cool neighborhood bars suggestions to stop by before or after diner would be appreciated as well.

Thank you vey much!

restaurants:

Perry Street, August, Tasca, Lupa, Otto, Babbo, Fatty Crab, Perilla, The Place, Little Owl, Snack Taverna, Cafe Cluny, P*Ong.

bars:

Spotted Pig (also a restaurant), the Other Room, Employees Only (also a restaurant), Art Bar, Hudson Bar & Books, Blind Tiger Alehouse, Duplex (downstairs), Little Branch (best cocktails in the WV). Pegu Club (just across Houston from the WV). Waverly Inn (also a restaurant and well, famous for another reason). Corner Bistro (very popular dive bar with a good burger).

you'll be in easy walking distance of SoHo, the EV and NoLIta as well.

Edited by Nathan (log)

to be precise, since you're staying on W. 11th you're staying in the WV or "West Village"

"GW" is today often used to refer to the no-man's land (NYU and Washington Square Park) between the WV and EV.

Westville on West 10th between West 4th and Bleecker for casual lunch, Tartine on West 11th. Bus Stop Cafe on Hudson for a diner.

And the very famous White Horse Tavern on Hudson and West 11th for food (I think) and drinks.

If you are up for Asian foods (Nathan's soooo provincial :-p ) you might try

- Surya for Indian food, altho hike it to Devi for 10X better

- Woo Lae Oak for Korean

- Kittichai for Thai

- Rockmeisha for ramen, izakaya food

- Chanto, En for Japanese classed up izakaya

- Ushiwakamaru for sushi

- Omen for Kyoto style Japanee food

Japanese food may be my focus but if I didn't find so much BAD and FAKE Japanese food outside of Japan, with so many fine examples in NYC, I wouldn't be so persistent...

Also, if you can get a burger @ Corner Bistro, a slice at Joe's, also could try a burger at BLT Burger

There's a good Peruvian place on the corner of Christopher & Bedford - has Lima in the name.

Surya, on Bleecker somewhere around Barrow or Grove, is nice if you feel like having Indian food in a garden.

Forget acronyms (I don't think anyone uses those mentioned in speech anyway), you are staying & dining in the West Village, not the Village. Embrace it! Say it loud & say it proud! :biggrin:

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Lima's Taste is the Peruvian place.

for garden dining...true, Surya or AOC (not AOC Bedford!)...both are only ok food wise.

Raji made good Asian recommendations its just that most of those aren't in the WV.

other WV spots worth considering: Ino, AOC Bedford, Ditch Plains, Mas, Blue Ribbon.

the food at White Horse is blah Sysco bar food. it's not a bad spot for a beer during the week...on weekends its an UES frat boy crowd (literally).

If you are up for Asian foods (Nathan's soooo provincial :-p  )  you might try

- Woo Lae Oak for Korean

- Kittichai for Thai

- Ushiwakamaru for sushi

Japanese food may be my focus but if I didn't find so much BAD and FAKE Japanese food outside of Japan, with so many fine examples in NYC, I wouldn't be so persistent...

Also, if you can get a burger @ Corner Bistro, a slice at Joe's, also could try a burger at BLT Burger

raji, I haven't been to Chanto in almost a year, I think. They used to have fabulous desserts when Seth Caro (sethro on eGullet) was Pastry Chef there. How are their desserts now? And what about their savory dishes? I liked them, but the star of my meal was the King of Kimchi. I assume they're still making that?

Michael aka "Pan"

If you are up for Asian foods (Nathan's soooo provincial :-p  )  you might try

- Woo Lae Oak for Korean

- Kittichai for Thai

- Ushiwakamaru for sushi

raji, I haven't been to Chanto in almost a year, I think. They used to have fabulous desserts when Seth Caro (sethro on eGullet) was Pastry Chef there. How are their desserts now? And what about their savory dishes? I liked them, but the star of my meal was the King of Kimchi. I assume they're still making that?

I still have never been there. But my friend has, and liked it much, and I trust him innately, he owns 30 restaurants in Japan. Another friend of mine did the interior design - definitely a nice room!!!!

I'm more than willing to walk (or cab) a little further out to have a great meal so any suggestions in the East Village or Soho are fine!

I've already put a note in my agenda to call Babbo exactly one month before our trip to try to get reservations (we got a big Batali fan in the family). We would also like to go for great sushi... so far I had my mind set on Yasuda but I'll check out the recommendations above. Little Owl looks interesting as well, as well as August for brunch and Pearl Oyster Bar for lunch.

So many to choose from, so little time... but I can't wait to go stuff my face for 4 days!! :biggrin:

Yasuda is great.

in the EV go to either of the Momofukus (but not Ssam Bar for lunch!).

in NoLIta I'd recommend Balthazar for breakfast/lunch and Peasant for dinner.

for cocktails,

NY's best are: Pegu Club, Milk & Honey, Death & Co., Flatiron Lounge, PDT, Brandy Library, Little Branch

Westville on West 10th between West 4th and Bleecker for casual lunch, Tartine on West 11th. Bus Stop Cafe on Hudson for a diner.

And the very famous White Horse Tavern on Hudson and West 11th for food (I think) and drinks.

IMO none of these places are very good. Tartine is mostly known for being BYO. The food is not anything special at all (nor is it cheap for what it is). Westville is comfort food that is not that expensive, but you mostly get what you pay for.

I think the standout places in that immediate area are Little Owl, Perry Street, Mas, Delicia Brazil (be prepared to wait while they go to the ocean and get your camarones) and some things at Spotted Pig. Little Branch has good but inconsistent drinks, and Pegu Club is not far.

Sethro is at Perilla now- so go there to try his desserts. I'd love to hear another food report as well. I thought it had a lot of potential immediately after opening.

Nathan covered your options quite well. If you're looking to walk a bit cross town, I recommend dim sum at Chinatown Brasserie, Il Posto Accanto (wine bar) and Blue Hill. There's also Soto for avant garde sushi (though I'd still spend my money at Ushi Wakamaru- and Sushi Yasuda would be even better).

It all depends what you're looking for.

Edited by Jesikka (log)

By the way, I had two great cocktails at Chinatown Brasserie when I was there a few months ago. Their dim sum items were great (though very expensive)!

Michael aka "Pan"

I'm more than willing to walk (or cab) a little further out to have a great meal so any suggestions in the East Village or Soho are fine!

I've already put a note in my agenda to call Babbo exactly one month before our trip to try to get reservations (we got a big Batali fan in the family). We would also like to go for great sushi... so far I had my mind set on Yasuda but I'll check out the recommendations above. Little Owl looks interesting as well, as well as August for brunch and Pearl Oyster Bar for lunch.

So many to choose from, so little time... but I can't wait to go stuff my face for 4 days!!  :biggrin:

You should know that Babbo also sets aside a few tables for walk-ins. My wife and I went about an hour after opening on a holiday Saturday and were given a table -- with an expiration date, but fair enough -- before we'd finished our first glass of wine. If we'd gone earlier and perhaps on a different day (holiday Saturdays are slower for wealk-ins, I expect, but a Wednesday would probably be even better) the wait might even have been shorter. If you can't get your rezie, you can check if that's still the policy while you have them on the phone, and they'll probably give you better hints than I.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Waverly Inn (also a restaurant and well, famous for another reason).

It's official, or some facsimile thereof: this month's Travel & Leisure has pegged the WI as New York's toughest restaurant reservation.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

IMO none of these places are very good. Tartine is mostly known for being BYO. The food is not anything special at all (nor is it cheap for what it is). Westville is comfort food that is not that expensive, but you mostly get what you pay for.

Sometimes, you just don't want to spend lots and lots of money on food. New York can be very expensive as we all know. Yes there are better places to eat in the village, but all of these are relatively inexpensive suggestions. I still think Westville is great for lunch, the burgers are very good and the salad if you get the regular dressing instead of the dill dressing is good. Haven't been to tartine in a long time and the bus stop is fine if you want a quick breakfast.

don't know when you are going but le pain quotodien is also opening up in the area which is also good for breakfast.

So many to choose from, so little time... but I can't wait to go stuff my face for 4 days!!  :biggrin:

You should know that Babbo also sets aside a few tables for walk-ins. My wife and I went about an hour after opening on a holiday Saturday and were given a table -- with an expiration date, but fair enough -- before we'd finished our first glass of wine. If we'd gone earlier and perhaps on a different day (holiday Saturdays are slower for wealk-ins, I expect, but a Wednesday would probably be even better) the wait might even have been shorter. If you can't get your rezie, you can check if that's still the policy while you have them on the phone, and they'll probably give you better hints than I.

there are 6 walk-in tables and about 12 seats at the bar...all available for walk-ins.

you're best off telling the bartender that you're a walk-in looking for dinner. they keep a list.

don't show up at 5 (opening time or before)...there are always about 25 tourists lining up beginning at 4:30 for the walk-in tables.

show up at 7-7:30 and you shouldn't have to wait very long (especially if you're willing to eat at the bar...easier seats to get than the tables).

Otto is terrific, imo, if you want a casual and not-too-pricey-for-NYC location! And although it's not in the Village, I'd highly recommend a meal at either Tabla or Bread Bar, which is on 24th and Madison, midway up the length of Madison Square Park (home of Shake Shack, so you can see it but not wait in that ridiculous line). BB is also a relative bargain for NYC! I'm not sure if it's fully evident on the web page, but BB is the downstairs portion of Tabla, and also offers outside seating.Tabla/Bread Bar website

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 year later...

I'd like to revisit this thread. How many of the recommendations still apply? Also, specifically, I'm going to be having lunch with a friend this Friday, probably in the West Village. I'd like recommendations for delicious food that's gonna cost us $20-30/person, inclusive of tax and tip, and that's not too carb-heavy (my first suggestion had been dim sum in Chinatown, and that was her demurral). We're both flexible in terms of cuisine, but a selection of options would be great, because she can be picky.

Michael aka "Pan"