• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flavored vinegar

SheenaGreena

I have a lot of dried persimmons and a lot of vinegar, so I say to myself...."why not make persimmon vinegar?"

so can I make persimmon vinegar with dried ones or do they have to be fresh? I am not waiting till fall to make this stuff, and plus I think it would make a nice gift to take home to my mom.

also, if I can use the dried persimmons, do I chop them up or leave them whole?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

While I'm not an expert on either persimmons or flavored vinegar, I'd suggest the following. I would reconstitute the dried fruit in some water, squeeze it dry and chop it up to get the most flavor.

Also, I've found many flavored vinegars to be only marginally useful as they overwhelm the salad or whatever. So, if you have other things you like to do with your dried persimmons, I'd start with a small batch of vinegar and see how it turns out.

Edited by DTBarton (log)

I was going to use it to dress simple salads or add a spoonful to some carbonated water as a refreshing drink. Persimmon vinegar is supposed to be really healthy for you.

your idea sounds pretty good though, especially the part about reconstituting it. I wonder if the flavour will be that much different than using fresh persimmons?

I've made infused vinegars quite a bit as a by-product of another dish. Perhaps my experience will be useful.

I like to take a mixture of dried fruits, rough chop them, reconstitute them in cider or plain vinegar, squeeze out excess liquid, and then stuff them into pork tenderloin (or loin), chicken, etc.

The leftover vinegar is great. I strain it, bottle it, and it seems to keep forever.

So, to answer your questions:

Can you use dried persimmons? I've never worked with persimmons specifically (in my vinegar), but I don't see why not. Try it and report back.

Chop them up? Yes, rough chop them - I think that would speed up the infusion a little bit.

so I'll reconstitute them in some hot water and add hot or room temp white vinegar?

also can I add cider vinegar or rice vinegar to the white vinegar? How long should I keep the persimmons in the vinegar?

I'll post a few photos when I get the chance

so I'll reconstitute them in some hot water and add hot or room temp white vinegar?

also can I add cider vinegar or rice vinegar to the white vinegar?  How long should I keep the persimmons in the vinegar?

I'll post a few photos when I get the chance

I wouldn't reconstitute them in hot water first. I don't really see the need. I would just put them in room temperature vinegar and let them sit for at least 30 minutes, but longer is better. You can taste the vinegar along the way to see how strong it is.

I've usually used cider vinegar alone. But I'm not sure how well that would work with persimmons. In any case, yes, I think using a mixture of white, cider, wine, and/or rice sounds great.