• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Simpler sandwiches

Simon_S

That's pretty much how I make/order/eat all my sandwiches. The simpler the better, I'm not one for a huge mess of stuff, lots of competing flavors, gloppy sauces.

My favorites: Turkey on wholewheat toast and a little mayo, with lots of cracked pepper.

Ham, Cheddar, bread.

Tuna salad, folded into one slice of soft wheat bread. (never two. I can't explain why, but I eat this sandwich by the half. Sometimes, I can consume 3 halves, but, that's neither here nor there.)

Liverwurst, pickle relish, rye.

Grilled cheese. Cheese. Bread.

Of course, here in Hoagieland, you're not going to find too many simple-sandwich absolutists, but there's nothing frou-frou or IMO excessive about a good hoagie, either, no mattter how closely it may resemble chef salad on a roll.

That said, there is very little in this world that beats Lebanon bologna and Swiss cheese on whole wheat with Dijon mustard.

Unless it's thinly sliced liverwurst with Muenster on rye with mayo (or mustard, depending on my mood).

Or, for that matter, a single ripe Jersey tomato slice either sprinkled with salt or topped with a little Miracle Whip. (Though the dressing I made by combining mayo with some Korean chili sauce I picked up at the H-Mart isn't bad either.) I mean, who needs bread, really?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I like the single meat sandwiches fine but I'm really a vegetable lover. Drained rounds of zucchini that have been marinated in a simple vinaigrette on mustard-smeared, chewy bread is a favorite. A few more are beet and goat cheese on rye, alfalfa sprout and tahini on whole wheat, spinach and thickly sliced mushrooms with a mustard vinaigrette on seedy bread, cucumber and mayonnaise on soft white bread, radish and butter sprinkled with salt on chewy white bread and, of course, tomato sandwiches! I eat those weekly *regardless* of the season. :wub:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Plenty of Pennsylvanians like simple sandwiches. Just a sub isn't meant to be simple.

Turkey, cranberry jelly and good bread. Or ham and mustard and good bread. Or roast beast, mustard and good bread. All are divine. (if you detect a mustardy theme here, you'd be right. I like mustard.)

Most of the frou-frou sandwiches I've run into have structural problems because the designer didn't think about how the ingredients fit together. Veggie heavy sandwiches can be delicious *if* you plan for how it will fit together, and get the proportions right. Otherwise they just fall apart and then you are sad and sticky.