• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Empanada Crusts

Patineuse

I have three methods I have run across for empanada crusts:

The puff pastry method adapted by Penelope Casas from Julia Child's recipe

Rose Levy Beranbaum's whole wheat turnover pastry from The Pie and Pastry Bible

After rolling the dough, winding the dough onto a 14-20 inch stick, slicing pinwheel like slices and rolling each of these pieces as described in Let's Cook With Nora, a Filipino cookbook

I have gotten the best results from Beranbaum's recipe, but it is still not quite right. Any recommendations out there?

Edited by Patineuse (log)

Melissa Bowman

Here's mine:

Pastry Recipe

Ingredients:

3 cups flour

2-1/2 tbs. Sugar

3/4 tsp. Salt

1/2 cup water

3/4 cup vegetable shortening

3 egg yolks

Mix flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixed well. Lightly beat egg yolks and water together and

mix into flour mixture until it turns into dough. Add more water if dough is a little crumbly. When the dough is nice and ready, refrigerate for 30 min. With a rolling pin, roll dough thinly, ¼ Inch thick in a lightly floured board. Cut rounds for empanada circles.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

I think you have to let us know what kind of empanadas you're making.

Filipino empanadas (traditional ones) tend to be on the sweet side (with raisins in the filling), so the pastry also tends to be a bit sweet.

Whereas Chilean ones I've had are not sweet at all, so the pastry is a little more simple.

If you let us know your filling recipe, we can give you better advice about your pastry.

If you let us know your filling recipe, we can give you better advice about your pastry.

Basically it is ground pork and beef, potatoes, onions, olives and raisins seasoned with garlic, soy sauce, aji-no-moto and salt and pepper. Spanish origins with a Chinese accent.

Do they taste good if left out at room temp for a while?

They can actually improve a bit if left at room temp for a while.

Melissa Bowman

doddie, what do you put in your empanadas?

an empanada sounds like it would make an excellent lunch to take to class.  Do they taste good if left out at room temp for a while?

I usually put cooked meat (pork, chicken or beef), diced carrots and potatoes (and sometimes peas). Note, these are all cooked in a pan with cream of asparagus soup (mixed with enough water to make it VERY thick) and once all the veggies are cooked, take off the heat and let cool. Important reminder: Never ever put hot filling in an empanada shell, it will make it soggy and it will FALL APART.

And yes, they taste good at room temperature, too.

Doddie, even when baked? I'm heading to university in September, and could use lunch ideas.

I'm not Doddie, but baked ones, in particular, are even better at room temperature. Fried empanada are not so good at room temperature--in my opinion. In the same line as empanadas, Jamaican patties are also very good at room temperature (also baked).

I usually bake my empanadas. First I like them that way, and second it's healthier. Most of the time I use a pate brise dough. The first time I ever had them they were made by an Argentine-born friend who used Bisquick! They actually weren't bad, though homemade dough is, of course, better.

I have lard in the fridge now, and next time I make them I'll try one of those lard dough recipes. Heartwise, how much worse could it be than the butter I use. :wink: As for shortening, then we're talking transfat.

Another benefit of baking over frying is that after they are baked (slightly underbaked) one can freeze them on a tray, then ziplock them in the freezer so that you can take out just a few at a time as desired and bake/defrost them as needed. This is wonderful for anyone who lives alone - or even couples as you can make several meals at one time. Done this way, they are as fresh and crisp as the day they're made. I'm not sure if this would work as well deep frying them.

Edited to add: I saw an episode of Daisy Cooks in which she made some with yucca dough.

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Milady - like what Prasantrin and Mottmott said, BAKED. I always baked my empanadas because I hate frying in oil and baking makes it easier to freeze the leftovers afterwards and then reheating in the oven. Plus the less hassle in cleaning the kitchen after.

I am munching on the empanadas I made with Doddie's recipe. Very good, and nice texture. Although I will try it with lard next time...I did not think about the transfat and I had Crisco on hand.

Doddie, do you add any seasonings?

Melissa Bowman

I am munching on the empanadas I made with Doddie's recipe. Very good, and nice texture. Although I will try it with lard next time...I did not think about the transfat and I had Crisco on hand.

Doddie, do you add any seasonings?

Patineuse - do you mean with the meat fillings? None except the cream of asparagus soup. If you are using the powdered kind, just mix with 1 cup of water and let it get thick with the meat and veggies. If you are using the canned version, throw in the entire can and add a little water (3-4 tbsps). You want your filling sauce to be nice and thick. I don't add any more seasonings at all, well maybe a dusting of black pepper.

PS. I think Lard is the way to go with empanadas. They come out very flaky in the end. :wub:

• 1 month later...

Bakes some empanadas last week with a butter crust. Fulling is meat and potatos.

gallery_38003_2183_503215.jpg

We liked them so much that we repeated this week making them half size. The left overs are going to make good late night eating.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

If making for later, I always bake empanadas because the fried dough becomes extremely tough after a few hours. (and I have tried many different types of dough)

I make empanadas filled with meats, poultry, cheese, fruits, pumpkin - anything you put in a tart or pie, you can put in an empanada.

If I am preparing them for immediate consumption, I sometimes steam them, then pan fry in just a tiny bit of fat to brown the crust. I used duck fat the last time I made them this way (carnitas with potatoes and peppers, pork mincemeat with squash, and cheese with apples for dessert) and they were terrific.

This thread has some great photos.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett