• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AYA in the Four Seasons

Aya wouldn't be able to compete with the onslaught of Yo Sushi as it arrives from London on a piggy back from Abrakebabra but the Four Seasons, the luxury hotel group whose own restaurant portfolio includes La Cinq, The Grill Room and Varanda have decided that Aya is to fulfill its restaurant outsourcing needs in Dublin. Joel Robuchon was it's chosen partner in New York. Are they taking the piss?

The Four Seasons in Dublin is one of the groups most profitable properties. It has one of the best wine list's and wine service in Dublin. Small but beautiful and nicely executed. Now sadly it is getting into gimmick territory with a terrible, terrible Japanesse offering. Nobu, Spoon, Atelier, Ramsay, Craft, MARC. That's what ohers get. The decision paints a dreary picture of dining in Dublin. After the food and beverage product at the new Shelbourne, it is the most disappointing event of 2007 in Dublin. Two opportunities gone.

This is really very depressing news. I've nothing against Aya per se, and the old Ayumi-ya was certainly a loss when it closed in Blackrock, but surely we can expect better than this. As you say, it paints a dreary picture of dining in Dublin. Will enough care? No.

Si

I agree. It sounds really dubious.

I haven't tried it yet, but have little confidence based on Aya's pathetic effort in the city centre. I'm not sure that there's a market for good sushi in Dublin (unfortunately).

As for the missed opportunity in the Shelbourne.... I'll start a new topic!