• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which area is best?

epicurious

Hello!

I will be going to NY with my two sisters in August and I would like to know more about a few different areas before we book a B&B. The places I have shortlisted for our stay are located in Greenwich Village (Adingdon Guest House and West Eleventh), on the West Side (Wyman House) and The Upper East Side (1871 House).

I would like to find out more about these neighborhoods, like restaurant choice, shopping and nightlife, which will be our main activities during our stay! If you also have any comments on these inns, I'd also appreciate it, although they all rated well on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your feedback. If you ever bump into 3 girls that look a lot alike and that are giggling constantly, that'll be us!!

Speaking not as a resident but as a regular visitor, I second the Greenwich Village suggestion. I can spend many days in New York and -- save for the occasional museum run-- never venture above 34th Street.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Hello!

I will be going to NY with my two sisters in August and I would like to know more about a few different areas before we book a B&B. The places I have shortlisted for our stay are located in Greenwich Village (Adingdon Guest House and West Eleventh), on the West Side (Wyman House) and The Upper East Side (1871 House).

I would like to find out more about these neighborhoods, like restaurant choice, shopping and nightlife, which will be our main activities during our stay! If you also have any comments on these inns, I'd also appreciate it, although they all rated well on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your feedback. If you ever bump into 3 girls that look a lot alike and that are giggling constantly, that'll be us!!

As a native NYer who lives on the Upper East Side, I'd vote for staying downtown, at the Greenwhich Village location. You get the atmosphere of NY, you're close to many of the best restaurants/night clubs/bars, and almost everything, from the Battery to Wall St to Ground Zero to Union Square is within walking distance (OK, a bit of walking, but still...).

And plan on walking a lot, this is NY, and the best way to see it is on foot.

Stay out of the Meatpacking district, unless you're hitting a restaurant in the area, but run away ASAP afterwards. It's packed with tourists/B&T/obnoxious drunks from Wednesday to Saturday night.

Avoid Times Square like the plague unless you really like flashing ads and crowds of gawking tourists.

Greenwich Village is a beautiful part of town and lovely to meander through on foot, day or night. There are lots of places to eat, both high-end and low-end, of many different ethnicities. It's the most European part of town, with small mom & pop stores and wonderful bakeries.

So don't be shy, taste everything!

Cheers! :cool:

PS: Oh, and welcome to NYC!

heh...the MP is like that Tuesday to Saturday now (at least in the summer)...I live virtually on its border so I walk through it every evening.  last night was almost like a Friday.

Nathan,

Sorry to hear that, they really ruined it didn't they? I grew up in Manhattan in the late 1980s and went to Florent when it first opened, back when the neighborhood had character (among other things... :rolleyes: ).

Still, amazing how fast it become a Las Vegas version of itself (though much of NY is now like that, sigh...).

Epicurious,

I am sure if you do a quick search on the BBS you'll find plenty of suggestions for places in the Village. It's a beautiful area that's still relatively unspoiled.

Have fun!

Cheers! :cool:

Thanks guys.. I've booked at the West Eleventh in Greenwich. I'll now start a new thread to get dining suggestions in that area and around!

FYI, Greenwich is either an avenue, a street, or a city in Connecticut. What are the cross-streets of the place you booked?

Michael aka "Pan"