• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crab in NYC

slkinsey

I agree that the best crabs are served at the Chinatown places, however there are some people for whom the crab craving won't be properly addressed by anything but an American-style crab experience. The best place we have in Manhattan for that -- which isn't to say it's fantastic -- is City Crab (Sidewalkers, which closed long ago, was the only truly good crab shack in Manhattan). They have Maryland blue crabs, Florida stone crabs, Alaskan king crab legs and Dungeness crab. They're all fine -- the place does high volume, and prices are good for New York restaurant prices ($25-$30 per pound depending on the exact product).

http://www.citycrabnyc.com/

There are also the places on City Island. Crab Shanty seems to be popular, and I've had okay food there. They have a lot of crabs. Last time I went, the "S" on the sign was broken, so it said "Crab hanty." City Island is kind of a pain to access by public transportation, but it can be done.

http://www.originalcrabshanty.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Please ignore Fat Guy and if you really love crabs, please, don't go to City Crab.

The crab is not fresh seeming or cooked to order-ish it seems very frozen yucky, yick. City Crab in the same restaurant group (Flatiron) as such jems as Chat and Chew, Dukes, French Roast and Steak Frites...It's not very high quality food, marketed to people wo don't know better...

Why FG? Why?

I liked Sidewalkers....

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

My favorite place to stop after a beach day at Riis Park is Capt. Mike's. It's just a shack type establishment bar, counter, stools - seats about 20, but the crabs with old bay are deliciously served old school on brown paper. View of the water and fishing boats. Prices and crab sizes seem to vary depending on the catch. Call ahead to make sure they're open. Most likely a Yankees game will be playing.

Captain Mike's

158-35 Cross Bay Blvd.

btw 159th Avenue and 158th Avenue

EAT LOCAL THINK GLOBAL