• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gordan Ramsay's maze

Gastro888

Maze is in London, UK.

there was an unsubstantiated rumor that the London Bar at Gordon Ramsay (NY) would convert into a version of Maze...but it has not done so yet and neither has the rumor been confirmed.

I've eaten at the London Bar and was underwhelmed. you can find my take on the Gordon Ramsay thread.

Sorry to correct you but they have opened a maze in NY:

Gordon Ramsay's maze

151 W. 54th St.

212-468-8889

It looks like a "small plates" type of restaurant. I'm trying to decide between going to GR or the Modern. Thoughts?

um, that's the London Bar...if they've changed the name in the last couple weeks they did it without anyone noticing.

yes, both the Maze in London and the London Bar are small plates restaurants.

update:

their website confirms that they changed the name in the last couple weeks (they still call it "the london bar" for breakfast) to Maze.

the menu is here and is virtually identical to the one served when it was called the London Bar:

http://www.gordonramsay.com/mazeatthelondo...s/alacartemenu/

like I said, you can find my (and those of others) comments on the Gordon Ramsay thread.

I specifically compared the London Bar to Bar Room at the Modern and preferred the latter. like I said, the dishes and concept haven't changed with the name change.

Edited by Nathan (log)

...thanks...

There could be more changes to the restaurant than just the name, which is why I'm asking if anyone's been there. I heard the sous chef in the main restaurant was replaced so I'm wondering if anything's changed.

I'm debating between this place and the Modern. Based on hilodesign and ling's reviews, GR looked pretty good but I've always heard good things about the Modern as well. Since I'm going to EMP for lunch that day, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do two restaurants from the same group or branch out.

The Bar Room at the Modern. Ideally, what I'm aiming for is great food in a setting where I can actually talk to my dining companion instead of going, "WHAT?". A quiet, semi-romantic evening out, if you will.

personally, I think you'd be happier at Bar Room at the Modern...at Maze/London Bar it could be rather racuous...it won't be at Bar Room. the food at both is good...but better for the price at Bar Room.

But the menus were nearly identical in the first place, weren't they? This seems to be a semi-branding thing and a way to convince casual diners that Maze FKA The London Bar is in fact a restaurant of its own and not only a bar and perhaps separate from Restaurant Gordon Ramsay.