• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Does anyone know how to use Gum Arabic

cheripie

I took a chocolate class where we used gum arabic to coat pistachio nuts to make them shiny for the top of chocolates, but I don't have notes on it. Does anyone know the other ingredients? We didn't use a panning machine, just on top on the stove.

www.cheri-pie.com

Life is too short. Eat good chocolate.

I found it.

Varnished Nuts for Decoration, page 51 in L'enotre volume 1 (paraphrased)

1000 grams nuts

50 grams gum arabic

100 grams water

Heat water, dissolve gum arabic in it. Heat nuts to 50 C. Add the gum mixture in 6 parts, stirring well between additions to separate the nuts. Spread on baking sheet. Put in oven at 40C for 5 hours.

That's a pretty low oven, not sure how easy it would be to keep it that cool.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I found it.

1000 grams nuts

50 grams gum arabic

100 grams water

Heat water, dissolve gum arabic in it.  Heat nuts to 50 C.  Add the gum mixture in 6 parts, stirring well between additions to separate the nuts.  Spread on baking sheet.  Put in oven at 40C for 5 hours. 

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

www.cheri-pie.com

I found it.

1000 grams nuts

50 grams gum arabic

100 grams water

Heat water, dissolve gum arabic in it.  Heat nuts to 50 C.  Add the gum mixture in 6 parts, stirring well between additions to separate the nuts.  Spread on baking sheet.  Put in oven at 40C for 5 hours. 

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Can you post a picture of the result? I'm curious to see how they look - and taste.

I ended up following the basic recipe from Kerry, but I added proportionally a bit more water since I used chopped nuts and the amount of surface area seemed to need it. (I used 200g nuts and when everything else was scaled down there was so little liquid.) I got what I was looking for even though the amateur photographs don't show it.

Picture 1: You can sort of see the difference between the nuts on the left which were varnished and the nuts on the right which were not.

gallery_52548_4381_838757.jpg

Picture 2: here was my purpose

gallery_52548_4381_220290.jpg

Also, I did not put them in the oven. Mine wouldn't go that low.

Edited by cheripie (log)

www.cheri-pie.com

I'm going to have to remember this trick. It seems it would add to the shelf life considerably of the nut that is exposed to the air. Does it add any discernable flavour, or decrease the nut flavour at all?

You're welcome.

I don't taste any difference from the normal pistachio taste. The enhanced color and the slight increase in crunch really works for me. I haven't tried any other nut.

Thanks again for the help!

www.cheri-pie.com