• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Summerlicious

jsmith

"Don't do it" comes to mind.

It's a good, inexpensive way to dine at the finer restos. But I'd reccommend going at regular times for a true reflection of a resto's capabilities. Mind you, it doesn't say much for the kitchen performance under pressure, imo.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I enjoy it when I go. I usually go to Canoe each time and have blast and will do so again for a dinner and a lunch. Do not go out as much these days so this will probably be it for me, perhaps Bymark for dinner also (have a reservation but not sure I will use it yet).

officially left egullet....

Over hyped is all that comes to mind. The way restaurants make $$$$ during this event is to do as many covers as possible. So no doubt you'll be rushed in, fed and rushed out. All the while the kitchen is over taxed and the servers are running to keep up with demand. Save your money and choose one restaurant and enjoy it at full price. It's better to buy one good quality thing, than a few cheaper ones!

Edited by veggrl (log)

....Save your money and choose one restaurant and enjoy it at full price. It's better to buy one good quality thing, than a few cheaper ones!

Bymark at full price is the same as this summer and winter events. I usually only go to Bymark and Canoe during the event so this is all I can compare. Same with Canoe, they usually do not cut any corners when I have been there. I have been to both for lunch and dinner close to a half dozen times each at full price (lunch, dinner and closing dinners and private functions) and both the summer and winter events in total 3 times for Canoe for dinner, 2 times for lunch at Canoe and 2 times at Bymark for dinner and 2 times for lunch during this event. I think it really depends. If a place has overlap with their regular menu and also offer the regular menu, chances are it will be just as good. That is usually the key. Never been rushed out in either place but then again, I know staff in both so that seems to help.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the posters here as well; Bymark and Canoe serve decent food during these promos but they are exceptionally hard to book.

I also recommend Canoe's counterparts: Oliver & Bonacini cafe.grill (Lunch at $15, dinner at $25) and Auberge du Pommier (Lunch at $20, dinner at $35).

I have also tried Le Biftheque Steakhouse on Richmond Street. They do a fairly good job as well. (Lunch at $15, dinner at $25)

I'll try more when Winterlicious rolls around!