• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffing chicken breasts

sbb1979

I'm cooking for friends at the weekend and feel like doing some stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in Parma Ham (or some such thing).

I'm looking for interesting ideas for what to put inside, and also, for what sauce to serve with it....

I haven't made this for years, but used to make this for big parties--I think the recipe is from Martha Stewart's Entertaining--the stuffing was ricotta and spinach--I can't remember what else--probably egg, parmesan cheese, garlic--it was very simple--her recipe called for stuffing under the skin, but if your breasts are skinless you can either cut a pocket or roll the breasts around it--and this would be delicious with the pancetts.

I don't think you would need a sauce with this, but you could so a wine and butter reduction of the pan juices if you wanted.

I like to use spinach, feta, and garlic for stuffing. Very tasty. I usually leave the skin on and bake them so the breasts don't dry out.

I think skinless would be better if you're going to wrap them in ham.

One of my favourites is to put a mushroom Duxelles stuffing under the skin of boneless chicken breasts.  Makes it much easier to eat when boneless. 

Fantastic suggestions. I think I may go for something along the lines of the duxelles, but open up the skinless breasts and stuff the insides. I was going to wrap them in the parma ham and then clingfilm. Then for service steam them, and colour them quickly in a pan so that they don't dry out.

Reading the thread about chicken skin though has made me hungry! I may buy breasts with skin, seperate it, and then cook it seperately between two sheets of greaseproof.......

Edited by sbb1979 (log)

My favorite is to cut a pocket and stuff boneless/skinless breasts with a pesto sauce with sun dried tomatoes in the pesto. Then bread them with panko bread crumbs. Sautee partially on each side then finish in a 350 oven. They come out great every time, no sauce needed

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I was just using leftovers and I came up with this yesterday. I opened the breast to about 1/2 inch thichness and flatened it to be 1/4-1/3 inch thich. I removed the casings from some sweet italian sausage and browned it; grilled some asparagus and sweet red pepper spears. put the sausage then some parmesean cheese slices, the peppers and asparagus. I seasoned with salt and pepper then rolled them up and chilled. To cook, I poached in chicken stock then reduced the liquid after the chicken was done, and enriched with butter for the sauce. I was out of cream but I'll try that next time. I let rest a while and sliced for presentation around vegetable rice pilaf. Watch the salt, it's too easy to make too salty when reducing the sauce, so season after!

Sometimes using what's on hand is the best souce for inspiration. You could also brown and finish in the oven. Deglaze with white wine, then some good chicken stock; finish with butter and/or heavy cream.

This can be done with breasts, although I prefer to use thighs.

Brown the skinless, boneless chicken in olive oil flavored with garlic and pesto until it is about half cooked. Split the pieces and put a slice of manchego cheese in the middle. Then wrap the pieces in thin slices of serrano (or prosciutto). Bake in 350 oven for about 20 minutes until chicken is done.

My favorite is to cut a pocket and stuff boneless/skinless breasts with a pesto sauce with sun dried tomatoes in the pesto.  Then bread them with panko bread crumbs.  Sautee partially on each side then finish in a 350 oven.  They come out great every time, no sauce needed

I do something similar but instead of pesto I stuff the pocket with my favorite Bruscetta recipe along with a little fresh mozzarella. Seal it with a toothpick, roll it in panko seasoned with granulated garlic & herbs, and bake. It's easy and my kids love it!

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

Doug Larson

I've used wild rice, dried fruits (figs, apricots, cranberries, apples, etc.) and nuts with great success. The taste is especially good when wrapping the outside with bacon or other salty cured pork products like you are thinking.

Anyone who says I'm hard to shop for doesn't know where to buy beer.

Wow. These look beautiful. Do you sear then bake them or just pop them in the oven? Would you mind sharing your method?

One of my favourites is to put a mushroom Duxelles stuffing under the skin of boneless chicken breasts.  Makes it much easier to eat when boneless. 

gallery_28661_3262_116131.jpg

gallery_28661_3262_78435.jpg

I love chicken breasts stuffed with manchego, sage leaf and wrapped in ham.

Other stuffing ideas -

pesto with provalone

roasted red pepper w/ roasted garlic

kalamata tapenade w/feta

Stuffed under the skin I like a mix of cilantro, jalepeno, garlic, lemon, butter

I am in favor of brining to keep the breast super moist.

Lots of great ideas in previous posts also!