• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metro

D90

Meh, Rare got the same treatment and seems to be doing just fine.

The only thing that confused me was, "The deer was so tough I thought I was eating shoe leather. With meat this lean, it needs more than a quick grill. "

I always thought that lean meats needed to be cooked more rare than usual, because they dry out easier.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Read Kitchen Con, it will all make sense. I read restaurant reviews for their entertainment value, not to decide if I am going to eat somewhere or not. I will be my own judge.

I have eaten at Metro twice now and will most certainly be back.

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

The only thing that confused me was, "The deer was so tough I thought I was eating shoe leather. With meat this lean, it needs more than a quick grill. "

I always thought that lean meats needed to be cooked more rare than usual, because they dry out easier.

Jason you are correct on cooking techniques for lean meat.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

Read Kitchen Con, it will all make sense. I read restaurant reviews for their entertainment value, not to decide if I am going to eat somewhere or not. I will be my own judge.

Like Ego says in Ratatouille: "Bad reviews are fun to read and fun to write."

AG must have had a giggle over this one.

A.

Had business lunch on Monday, excellent food and service, love the room, very friendly and informative hostess (Stacey?). I'll be back for dinner and make up my own mind, AG reviews are semi-worthless to me, we often follow bad ones to the restaurant reviewed and wonder where she was eating and generally where she got her "taste."

That, and doesn't very lean meat get rather "livery" with overcooking or too high a temperature (due to all the myoglobin or something)?

I haven't been to Metro yet, but hope to soon!

One person’s taste.

Started to talk about the review at pre-shift today ~ the service staff shut me down; stated that the review did not reflect what they were hearing from the guests.

I am not very media savvy. I would rather spend my time cooking and visiting with the guests of Metro and Rare then kissing up to the food media. With that said, some of the food media are my friends ~ the ones passionate about food, service and wine.

The review is what it is. It will not hurt my business, but will probably drive more people to the doors of both Metro and Rare. Unfortunately it only hurt one person ~ my mother, hard to hear her cry, she is proud of me.

Chef/Owner/Teacher