• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Small Wedding Cake, please?

Hi folks,

I will be getting married in Toronto in the Autumn and I would love to order a small (16 ppl) wedding cake. I checked out the Dufflet site and their cakes looked busted. Why? Their reputation is very good, so I'm not sure if it is just a lame web photographer. Oh well, any suggestions?

Thanks, Jen

"People go to restaurants for hundreds of reasons, and food is only one of them." -Ruth Reichl

I am not a fan of Dufflet at all. Had a lovely cake recently from Yorkshire Pudding, telephone 416.251.9039

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Dessert Trends and Red Tea Box come to mind. Though I've tasted neither, I found both to be quite fanciful and would be able to custom-create your cake to you specs, I'm sure.

http://www.desserttrends.ca/

and

The Red Tea Box

696 Queen Street West

Toronto, ON

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2006/10/sw...he_red_tea_box/

Red Tea Box also has some lovely hand-scented earl grey that costs the earthy too.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Thank-you for the suggestions. I did look at the Dessert Trends website a few weeks ago, but the name threw me off a little. "Trends" doesn't inspire the feeling of quality. It just makes me think of 16 year old girls in 80s-inspired clothing. Cheers!

"People go to restaurants for hundreds of reasons, and food is only one of them." -Ruth Reichl

• 2 weeks later...

We had our wedding cake done at Dufflet's and we were very happy with it. It's just gotten so much good press that people are bitter about it. the staff was really helpful there the only thing is that you have to order a month in advance and it costs extra to deliver the cake.

Pieds Des Anges

Piedsdesanges, I'm very curious about your statement "It's just gotten so much good press that people are bitter about it" While Dufflets has received a fair bit of press in recent years (not all of it good) why would that suggest people are bitter? To qualify my earlier statement that I am not a fan of Dufflet may I add that I find their cakes to have an oily taste/texture and many of the icings more so. I have sampled many offerings over the past 5 years while working within the industry and have no personal affiliation with any pastry shop in the city.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I was in contact with Wayne (from Dessert Trends). He was very helpful and offered to send some digital photos of the cakes that they are creating this summer. Thanks for the suggestions; I probably would still be surfing the 'net, looking at marzipan concoctions and armadillo cakes!

I am, of course, in the service industry. Sometimes, one (not me!) gets jealous when our peers are recognized again and again. I have never seen/heard anything as catty as a bunch of chefs slagging their competition over lagers and Jagermeister! That's all. . .

Thank-you fellow e-Gulleters!

Jen

• 1 month later...