• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Night in Carcassonne, where to eat well?

Vinotas

Very best dining near Carcassonne is at the Domaine d'Auriac – a hotel with a fine dining room indeed. The hotel is about 3 km. east of the city – an easy taxi ride. Be sure to call to check hours – Telephone 04 68 25 72 22

In town, consider Le Languedoc at 32 Allee Lena (Tel 04 68 25 22 17). Again be sure to phone in advance to check opening hours. Also keep in mind that you are running into les vacances, so many places will be only partly open and some closed "for the holidays"

Sunday night is tough.

Probably too far away, but Les Puits du Tresor recently got their first star. Located in Lastours, 30 minutes North of Carcassonne.

Perhaps worth a try.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on Carcasonne? We'll be driving through on our way to Espelette, and prefer to avoid going into Toulouse to save time for lunch and still get into Espelette at a reasonable hour. Domaine Auriac looks too fancy for a lunch en route.

Any updates on Carcasonne?  We'll be driving through on our way to Espelette, and prefer to avoid going into Toulouse to save time for lunch and still get into Espelette at a reasonable hour.  Domaine Auriac looks too fancy for a lunch en route.

Hard to say. There are three starred restaurants in Carcassonne to chose from, but maybe they're too slow for what you need.

Try a Michelin search, then trust to your luck.

Given the driving times indicated on your blog are you sure its not a hotel you want?

It looks like La Barbacane is dinner only, and Le Puits du Tresor is a ways off our route. Maybe Carcasonne isn't the right place to lunch? What we need is a great little bistro-type place right on the route between Narbonne and Toulouse, or somewhere on the outskirts of Toulouse.

It looks like La Barbacane is dinner only, and Le Puits du Tresor is a ways off our route.  Maybe Carcasonne isn't the right place to lunch?  What we need is a great little bistro-type place right on the route between Narbonne and Toulouse, or somewhere on the outskirts of Toulouse.

Abra, Ok if you are feeling brave try this. Get off the Narbonne - Toulouse Autoroute onto the A66.

Fairly shortly thereafter turn West towards Auterive. Go through Auterive to St. Suplice.

In St Souplice have lunch at:

Le Commanderie

1 PLACE DE L HOTEL DE VILLE F - 31410 ST SULPICE SUR LEZE

Téléphone : 05 61 97 33 61

After lunch continue on to the A64 & turn West to Pau and from there you will get to all the peppers.

Make sure you reach the restaurant BEFORE 1:00PM (13:00)

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

By George, I think you've got it!  I'll just check with the driver, but a quick map perusal and a coup d'oeil over their menu suggests that this may be it.  Do you suggest reservations?

Friday or Saturday yes, other days no. Sunday lunch Absolutely.

Let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
Rats!  I just called to reserve at La Commanderie for tomorrow and they're on annual holiday until November 8.  Bummer.

I've hesitated to pipe up before now because my experience was several years ago and was recommended to me by a French colleague who thought the setting and food was nice: Le Donjon - les Remparts, no stars, forks, etc. But it was nice.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Like John I'm a little hesitant because this recommendation comes via a friend. I haven't eaten there myself, but I do trust my friend's judgment.

Le Puelon

19 PLACE VINCENT AURIOL

31860 LABARTHE SUR LEZE

Unfortunately I don't have a phone number to hand.

Supposedly a nice terrace & a terrific wine list as well as good food.

• 1 year later...

I thought I would resurrect this post and ask for updates. We are planning a weeks holiday centred around Carcassonne. Any current recommendations for great food? All price points considered, but mainly interested in the mid-priced.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

La Barbacane - went a few years ago.  Nice room - very atmospheric - but very pricey for what you got.

Comet Roger, also in the walled city, has more grounded ambitions and we had a few good meals there last summer.  

Les Clos Occitan is the town itself and I also enjoyed a few meals there.

The two starred Le Parc Frank Putelat was by all accounts pretty awful.  They served an open sandwich as one of the courses on the tasting menu :sigh: and the rest of the meal was instantly forgettable.  Also, the MD took an active dislike to us & I genuinely have no idea why. Maybe we didn't order expensive enough wine or speak good enough french. It's not as if we complained about anything.  

We didn't make it to Fontjoncouse which is nearby but I've heard from a very reliable source that the Auberge du Vieux Puits was quite spectacular.

• 5 months later...

Last summer we had a lovely meal at La Barbacane which has 1 Michelin Star and part of Hotel de la Cite, one of the few hotels within the old city walls.

The food was very good and if the weather is good you can eat outside in the lovely gardens.

Andrew