• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fermes auberges in the Luberon

pissaladiere

Hi,

I am preparing for our four week stay in Lourmarin in the Luberon. I am very interested in the idea of "fermes auberges". I have read about a ferme auberge in Sivergues called Castelas. I was wondering if anyone has tried any others. L'Houmet in Monteux, Lou Mangan in Caromb, Lou Meou in Lauris or La Bastide des Fontaines in Cadenet. I love the idea of experiencing the people, the food and the land in such a direct way. Any comments on these fermes auberges or on fermes auberges in general.

Thanks,

Andrea

Our experience is tangential to your question. Whenever possible we stay in chambre d'hotes that offer table d'hote in the evening. In the area you mention, we have very much enjoyed several stays at La Tuiliere set in a vineyard on a hill above Cadenet. Clotilde sets a lovely breakfast and provides a delicious evening meal by reservation/request. In good weather, it is served in on a long table in the courtyard. There is also a common room with hospitality facilities. We loved our two room unit (Le Grenier) that consisted of bedroom and little sitting room, with its own outside entrance (see the picture of a flight of steps leading to two red doors on the home page). We loved sitting on our own private terrace, enjoying wine made from the vines we looked out on.

We found Cadenet very central to visiting the western Luberon, driving as far south as Aix, west as Arles and Avignon, north as Sault, east as Riaz. At table, we met people from as far as Switzerland and Isreal as well as from other parts of France, but no English or Americans. There is a pool to welcome you home in the afternoon, and several fine restaurants in Lourmarin, several km north for splurges.

eGullet member #80.

I have read about a ferme auberge in Sivergues called Castelas.

I don't have another ferme-auberge to recommend, as Le Castelas is the only one I've ever been to in this area, but I thought you might be interested in my report from a visit a couple of years ago, if you haven't googled upon it already.

Clotilde (no relation to the one Margaret refers to!)

Thanks Margaret and Clotilde,

Margaret, I am very familiar with Cadenet, as we are staying in Lourmarin for the second time. I found this to be an excellent base for touring the region. Your chambre d'hote sounds marvellous. We will be renting a house with a kitchen, so we are planning on preparing our markets finds.

Clotilde, it was your article about the Castelas that first drew it to my attention. I can't wait to go there. I can't wait to explore this more wild, remote side of the Luberon,

Thanks,

Andrea

We stayed at Le Castallas one year. Gianni is a charmer. He entertained us on night playing his drum along with few other musicians.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

I stayed at a ferme auberge in Normandy two summers ago and just loved it. It was a beautiful working farm which served homemade jam and freshly churned butter and milk from the cows of the farm for breakfast. The food was simple but very good. I found the address in a book called Vacances et Week-Ends à la Ferme You might try the following website Bienvenue-a-la-ferme/ to find more in the Luberon.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com