• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

shun question

i've always had rather junky knives...and never really did too much maintenance on them.

recently, however, i was able to pick up some shun knives. so far, i love them, but i have a question - how exactly are you supposed to sharpen them on your own? the set came with a sharpening steel, but i've never had to use one before. do you hold it at a certain angle/do you place the tip on the counter top/etc. etc. etc.

i quickly skimmed the egci knife sharpening post, and that seems like a good resource. is there anything different one should note while maintaining shun knives?

You will soon be given a great deal more involved responses than the one I am about to give, by those far more informed.

You should steel the knife every time before you use it. Easiest way is to hold the steel point down on a counter and then swipe the knife 3-4 times on each side. Angle should be about 22 degrees. This translates to about the thickness of a matchbook cover, so if you picture a matchbook between the stell and the knife, you will be a hitting it about right. After a few times, you'll be able to tell by the sound the knife makes when you are hitting the angle right. Using a stell only helps true the edge betwen sharpening, and you will still need to periodically sharpen the knives of take them to be sharpened.

A lot of folks will explain to you how to use waterstones, diamond steels or those sharpening gismos but I fing it easiest to take the knives I use most to be sharpened every 9 months or so.

Y Angle should be about 22 degrees.

Unlike most German knives, the Shuns actually come from the factory with a sharper angle than that. Aim for 17- 18 degrees.

Y Angle should be about 22 degrees.

Unlike most German knives, the Shuns actually come from the factory with a sharper angle than that. Aim for 17- 18 degrees.

So . . . an empty matchbook? A matchbook with the front row of matches missing?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

With Shun, the angles are very acute so I would say two pennies at the spine if it's a chef knife. Smaller knives would maintain that same angle but you couldn't use the pennies as a guide. If you use to big of an angle to the steel, the edge will just get rolled over to the other side and you'd end up moving it back and forth. Very light swipes. Doesn't take much.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 6 months later...

16 degrees. :) I'm anal about my Shuns.

I have some $3 Vietnamese market knives that work fine and I use a camping/hunting sharpener on and they are fine, but when it comes to a freakin $300 chef's knife, I'm a little picky. Factory edge is 16 degrees.

I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and thought "I'm glad I ate that."

I believe Shun sells a special honing steel designed to hit the blade at the correct angle. Using a different honing steel will likely ruin the edge, according to Shun. Alton Brown did a little 6-minute tutorial on Shun knives which you can find here on Shun's home page:

http://www.kershawknives.com/products.php?brand=shun

As for sharpening, I read at a knife forum that Shun will resharpen your blades at the factory free for life. The only hitch is that you have to pay postage both ways. Not being an expert, I would be a little nervous sharpening these babies myself.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping this topic up because I just got an email from Chef Tools with what sounds like a good price for

a sale on a 9 inch Shun butcher knife.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this shape, I am just the messenger! :biggrin:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

Just went to a Shun presentation. If you have a Shun steel just below the handle ( I think it is called the hauzel) there is a round on which there is a flat spot. If you hold the steel vertically and put the back of you knife against the flat spot it will give you a 16 degree angle. Just draw the knife 4 or five times on each side. Don't press too hard.

The rep said if you send it to the factory for sharpening you only pay postage one way. They return it free of charge. Customs might have another thought.

Cheers

Malcolm

[

has anybody had their shun knives sharpened elsewhere? I have the nice Ken Onion Chef knife which I really like, I'e had it for about 1 1/2 years and use it every day, it still cuts better than any other knife I've ever had, but needs to go to the sharpening. I'd rather not send it to Japan though, that would probably take a long time.

I'll get he steel one of these days too, but with sharpening at any old place I'm concerned that they might re-shape it and put a different angle on (even if they might tell me they don't, not sure I'd believe them...)

Curious what experiences others might have.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Do NOT take it to the mall knife shop. They will ruin your knife. Send to either of the places below. Both these places do them by hand on whetstones. They specialize in Japanese knives.

http://japaneseknifesharpening.com/

http://www.epicureanedge.com/shopcontent.asp?type=sharpening

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Just went to a Shun presentation. If you have a Shun steel just below the handle  ( I think it is called the hauzel) there is a round on which there is a flat spot. If you hold the steel vertically and put the back of you knife against the flat spot it will give you a 16 degree angle. Just draw the knife 4 or five times on each side. Don't press too hard.

The rep said if you send it to the factory for sharpening you only pay postage one way. They return it free of charge. Customs might have another thought.

Sorry, I don't understand that.

The angle that you get when raising the spine by a fixed amount will depend on the height of the knife (from edge to spine), and consequently you would get rather different angles with say a santoku's tall blade and a much less tall boning knife.

Also, I hope all eGullet readers are well aware of the difference between using a steel and sharpening.

Personally, my collection of inexpensive knives have been utterly transformed by my Edge Pro Apex.

I'd advise anyone considering buying expensive knives to postpone the new knives until you've made the most of what you have.

And that means 'in-house' sharpening.

Similarly, for those considering their options for maintenance of more expensive knives, I'd also suggest doing it yourself. But yes, do practice and learn on things that are less important before having a go at your pride and joy.

The Apex makes it really easy for a clumsy clot like myself to put a very good edge onto a knife. If you are as clumsy as me, then you can just tape over the knife sides to perfectly preserve its cosmetic appearance against your over-enthusiasm!

But if you are the type that likes the Zen of hand skills stuff, then sure, just get some stones. The Apex simply provides much more immediate satisfaction!

And over the lifetime of ALL your knives the cost of an Apex is quickly amortised ...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Do NOT take it to the mall knife shop.  They will ruin your knife.  Send to either of the places below.  Both these places do them by hand on whetstones.  They specialize in Japanese knives.

Thanks you, that's great info!

Oliver

- Thomas Keller

Do NOT take it to the mall knife shop.  They Send to either of the places below.  Both these places do them by hand on whetstones.  They specialize in Japanese knives.

I think the best thing you could buy from japaneseknifesharpening.com is their sharpening video and a couple of stones. "catch me a fish and i'll eat for a day ..." etc..

Notes from the underbelly

also interesting, but the knife is pretty expensive and I'm afraid of turning it into a decorative but useless kitchen item if I try this myself....

edit: just found that I can send my knife to Portland, OR instead of Japan for free sharpening, that seems like the best deal here and I'll be doing that. Go to www.kershawknives.com and look for sharpening to find the whole info. Cool service actually, never heard of a knife maker sharpening the knives for free for basically for ever. Neat :-)

I will get their steel too though

Edited by OliverB (log)

- Thomas Keller