• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Detailed review of Frazier's in Raleigh, NC

BDM

Most of the accolades I found out and about for this restaurant were a bit dated.

Let's just say there is no cause for concern! ! !

My daughter and I had an absolutely fantastic meal there last night. Every aspect of the evening was flawless!

Easily made an on-line reservation via OpenTable for 7:30 on a Saturday night (This really concerned me)

Arrived a few minutes early and was seated at a great table (my daughter is 12 so they could have given us one of the less desirable tables)

Our server was as competent and accommodating as anyone who has ever waited on us. After being in the business half my life I really appreciate great service.

The wine list was great; very eclectic; more "obscure" wines that typical chards, beefy cabs and overpriced insipid Pinot Noirs. Their prices were very reasonable and the selection was great. How many "big-city" places have a German red by the glass?

I asked if I could have three courses to my daughter's two and there was not even a hint of bother! She started with a puree of asparagus and Dungeness crab soup with a zucchini blossom stuffed with a delicate soft chess and stuffed with chunks of crab and then drizzled with chili oil. It tasted great and came out fantastically hot. My first course was a soft-shelled crab, corn meal crusted over a bed of tender braised collards and a sort of sweet/sour tomato concousse (sp?)/sauce. Paired with a nice Gruner Veltliner it was a perfect start.

Our next course was served with perfect timing. My daughter had an entree of pan seared halibut over creamed corn and grilled radicchio. There was a drizzle of truffle oil which made the creamed corn even more delicious and a drizzle of great balsamic which acted as an acid to brighten the dish. My course was a "slab" of foie gras seared to a bacon-like crispness on the outside and absolutely rare on the inside. It was served over a bed of wilted bok choy no bigger than my pinky finger and topped with a "candied" kumquat. Best foie gras in the states in a long time. The server offered a Sauternes by the glass which was great although may have been opened earlier in the week. None the less, fantastic.

My third couse may have been the best food (including mine :) ) I've had in years. It was a 1/2 portion of "Braised Rabbit with Pancetta, wilted arrugula and Agnolotte" My daughter and I almost fought over the trading of this dish. Rabbit braised to it's ultimate sweetness, salty crisp "lardons" of pancetta, the slightly earthy bitterness of the arrugula and then the richness of the obviously house made cheese filling in the delicate pasta. The sauce was kind of a mix of the rabbit braising stock with a bit of tomato. This was a masterpiece.

Anyone over that way, get there for this dish alone before the arrugula goes out of season!

I asked a server to bring a wine she would recommend and she brought a glass of Montepulciano which was the least expensive red by the glass and thankfully just opened that evening.

Dessert for my daughter was coconut panna cotta with a 3/4 inch pineapple upside down cake. The house made caramel sauce just kind of uped the dessert to another level. At just over $100 with a few bottles of sparkling water (before tip) I wish I wasn't 3 hours away in Charlotte.

Anyway, I don't post here too often but thought I'd share.

BDM