• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Typical French Meal

Norm357

My Daughter was nominated to be a Student Ambassador and is currently touring Europe. (Who oh why didn't they have this program when I was in school!) She will be staying with families in London, Lyon France, and Rome one week each. Not bad for a 12 year old huh?

Anywhooo, I was wondering what the typical French meal consists of?

Thanks,

Norm

Chicks dig wheelguns.

There is no typical meal and each area of France has different cooking. Lyon is the Second city of France. She will experience great Lyonnais dishes. such as blanquette de veau. Lyon is famous for its buchons, a type of working man's café serving fantastic sausages, lentil dishes.. There's plenty on this site to explore or you can google, better yet have HER familiarize herself so she knows what to expect.

Lucky girl!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

To answer the question of cost; from 12-195 Euros (but that's at Bocuse); and I suspect she'll do fine in places where the daily special runs 10-16 Euros or two courses (a formule=formula) for 20-25 or so. A quick look at the Michelin Red Guide shows several smiley face Bibs in Lyon that are reasonable. Since she's staying with a family, tho', they may eat very well at home, I certainly did on my family stay.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris