• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adding a ZING to "mundane" vegetables

Henry dV

• 7 years later...

Olive oil.

You'd be surprised. 1-2 tablespoons stirred in just before service will lend a touch of magic. Try it with some green beans, broccoli or spinach.

It really, REALLY depends on which cuisine.  Even within European-type ones, "it depends".  With E Asian ones, uh, NO.

• Like 1

Cold pressed  rapeseed oil,  what a lovely flavour and makes any salad or  cold veggie taste like heaven.  I prefer that over olive oil.

Cabbage and cardamom is pure heaven in my world  but so is pork , apples and cloves   and potato mash isnt mash without nutmeg.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

It really, REALLY depends on which cuisine.  Even within European-type ones, "it depends".  With E Asian ones, uh, NO.

That's your opinion, and in any event, not germane as far as my reply is concerned.

I believe this was the original question...

So Guys and Gals what do you add to lift the "mundane"veggies and turn them majestic ?

:rolleyes:

I was answering what I do. I don't really care about your perspective, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

That's your opinion, and in any event, not germane as far as my reply is concerned.

I believe this was the original question...

:rolleyes:

I was answering what I do. I don't really care about your perspective, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Then qualify your answer with what your circumstances are.  Your post implied that olive oil cured all ills.

Hello-IMHO: Toasted sesame oil works well in some E/SE Asian vegetable dishes. Laphet  Thoke  (Tea Salad) is prepared with it..I, personally,   would use it whenever I use uncooked greens . 

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)