• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

restoring a le creuset

nanbanane

We received an old Le Creuset as a hand-me down. The enamel needs to be redone and the handle on the lid is loose. Does anyone know of a place in Montreal that could restore it to its former glory? How much does it cost approx? Does it last?

We love the small size of it and it would be just perfect for small braises in the fall...

What condition is the enamel in? What kind of restoration are you thinking it needs?

Does the handle screw on from under the lid?

The enamel is chipped and cracked. The handle has a screw but it seems the enamel around the screw has worn and makes for a loose fitting.

Try contacting the company.  These things are supposed to last forever, or at least their warranty is good for a long long time.  It might be worth a try...

That's the best advice. They likely will offer to replace it for free or for some reduced price fee. It may well cost more to re-enamel than to replace, and I have not heard of anyone who does that with LC due to their 99 year warrantee.

To answer my own request... Les touilleurs on Laurier recommended "Clinique de la Casserole" on Jean-Talon and Pie-IX. We called and they will re-enamel the entire casserole dish and lid, plus fix the handle for 80$. We won't have a wide choice of colours, but that doesn't bother us. Figure for a casserole that sells new for 250$, it's worth it... Will look into contacting Le Creuset directly.

To answer my own request... Les touilleurs on Laurier recommended "Clinique de la Casserole" on Jean-Talon and Pie-IX. We called and they will re-enamel the entire casserole dish and lid, plus fix the handle for 80$. We won't have a wide choice of colours, but that doesn't bother us. Figure for a casserole that sells new for 250$, it's worth it... Will look into contacting Le Creuset directly.

LeCreuset is VERY good about replacing pots gone bad. They replaced 5 different pieces for me - even giving them to me in the color of my choice so I could turn the assorted colors collected over the years into a matched set! This was about 5 years ago.

I strongly urge you to do nothing until you call LC.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

These days it's hard to believe such policies actually exist! I will be sure to contact them directly and get our orange pot restored in lime green to match our grilling pan! So excited! Must stop using exclamation marks!

LeCreuset is VERY good about replacing pots gone bad. They replaced 5 different pieces for me - even giving them to me in the color of my choice so I could turn the assorted colors collected over the years into a matched set! This was about 5 years ago.

I strongly urge you to do nothing until you call LC.

you're breaking my heart - several years ago now I spent a good bit of $$ buying replacement LeC pieces because mine were just too worn for me to use any more (handed them down to a college student type) Had I only known I could just exchange them.... ah well passing them on (as they were passed on to me) was good Karma, right?

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 2 weeks later...
Try contacting the company.  These things are supposed to last forever, or at least their warranty is good for a long long time.  It might be worth a try...

I agree with the above post. I have two Le Creusets bought in the '70's (YES), and they are worn (VERY). On one of my newer ones, the wooden handle is loose. I e-mailed the company, and they said the wearing should not present a problem - nothing poisonous, but if I sent the pots to them, I would get a 50 percent credit on new ones. I didn't raise the issue of the handle with them, so I am interested in what they say.

PS: I have decided not to take them up on their offer. I love my old pans.