• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Bowl - Sri Lankan in Tarzana

SG-

Decided to check out Curry Bowl, a non-descript Sri Lankan place I passed by several weeks ago. Nothing fancy, small menu, however the food quality was very good.

Having never tried Sri Lankan food before, I had expected the cuisine to be reminiscent of Indian given it's proximity but boy was I surprised. I would charaterize the food as a cross between Indian and Malay, skewing more to the latter. Curries tend to be lighter, spicier (heat and flavor) and oilier, coconut both the milk and shredded is used quite frequently. All in all the food reminded me more of the food in Malaysia than Indian.

Started with with String hoppers which is virtually identical to Malaysian Putu Mayam. Vermicelli discs accompanied with spicy fried shredded coconut, a beef curry which reminded me of Malay rendang, hardboiled egg in a light yellow coconut milk curry. Next item was a selection from the dinner buffet, rice, fried vermicelli, red tuna curry, mashed potatoes with some tumeric seasoning, carrot salad and some sweet onion relish. Again the look and flavours were very similar to Malay food.

Overall a great find and introduction to a new cuisine for me!

Curry Bowl

19662 Ventura Blvd., Tarzana, CA

818-609-7683