• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chengdu 1

rooftop1000

You didn't mention the pork with green chives. We get it served with noodles. Seriously good -- and not spicy with means that even the kids like it.

SO true! But if you think I have the full list of dishes memorized, well...give me another few visits! :laugh:

I just had leftover chicken casserole for lunch. DElicious, and even spicier today than it was last night...YUM.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Hey you only invite us like once a month...and I liked the sweet and sour crispy fish better :smile: but they are both good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Hey you only invite us like once a month...

tracey

That's because you people live in the BOONIES and can't get there fast enough! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Are they going to have a New Year menu?

YES! We've asked the chef/owner about this and he said they are definitely having a Chinese New Year celebration. As soon as I get details I'll post them.

YES! We've asked the chef/owner about this and he said they are definitely having a Chinese New Year celebration. As soon as I get details I'll post them.

Great! Count DH and me in!

(I'm assuming a group of E-gulleteers will want to get together)

Edited by jo-mel (log)

Great! Count DH and me in!

(I'm assuming a group of E-gulleteers will want to get together)

and me too!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have some info about the Chinese New Year menu at Chengdu 1...please keep in mind that communication is an issue, so I'm not sure how locked in stone this information is right now, but if nothing else, it's a very good start! :smile: Here is the menu so far:

Chinese New Year Special Combination

Abalone with Corn

Bean Curd Roll with Shredded Duck

Coral in Sweet and Sour Sauce

Steamed Rice Powder Beef

Crab Meat & Baked Fish Maw Soup

Peking Duck

Steamed Scallops with Fermented Black Beans

Boneless Whole Fish in House Special Sauce

Hot & Spicy Jumbo Prawn

Crispy Chicken Roll in Garlic Sauce

Sauteed Noodle with Pork and Yellow Chives

Sauteed Snow Pea Tips :wub:

Sweet Sesame Rice Ball Soup

For 4 people $138

For 6 people $198

For 8 people $258

For 10 people $318

They are not having lion dancers or drummers-just the special menu. The owner told me that he is still working on it, so that may mean additional special dishes at an a la carte price, or additions to this list--but I don't know. There is a sign that says they are opening at 3pm on Thurs. Feb 7th, which is the first night of the celebration, and the special menu will be up through the weekend of Feb 9-10.

For those who actually speak Chinese, my apologies for the following...Gong hey fat choy! :biggrin:

Curlz --

Rechecking your Jan 2 list of favorites, I was wondering about the Sausage with Leeks. I must have missed that when I've been there, and I don't see it on my take-out menu.

Is that regular Lop Cheong sausage? And are those leeks the ones like thin green crunchy sticks - (jiu cai hua)? (one of my favorite Chinese vegetables)

I haven't been up there for about 1 1/2 months, but now that sausage dish intrigues me.

Curlz --

Rechecking your Jan 2 list of favorites, I was wondering about the Sausage with Leeks. I must have missed that when I've been there, and I don't see it on my take-out menu.

Is that regular Lop Cheong sausage?  And are those leeks the ones like thin green crunchy sticks - (jiu cai hua)? (one of my favorite Chinese vegetables)

I haven't been up there for about 1 1/2 months, but now that sausage dish intrigues me.

If I amy jump in here**dusts off keyboard** according to Lien (the owner) he makes the sausage himself. I t is cut thinly on a very extreme bias. Seems to be a fresh sausage and NOT the Lop Cheong which is typically a dried sausage. Very much like most of the authentic schezuan dishes here, the flavors are simple and clean and un-fooled around with (to use a jen-yoo-wine gastronomic description.)

The leeks seem to be good 'ol American leeks of the Shop Rite variety.

Gong Hey Fat Choy!!(sp?)

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Curlz --

Is that regular Lop Cheong sausage?  And are those leeks the ones like thin green crunchy sticks - (jiu cai hua)? (one of my favorite Chinese vegetables)

If I amy jump in here**dusts off keyboard** according to Lien (the owner) he makes the sausage himself. I t is cut thinly on a very extreme bias. Seems to be a fresh sausage and NOT the Lop Cheong which is typically a dried sausage. Very much like most of the authentic schezuan dishes here, the flavors are simple and clean and un-fooled around with (to use a jen-yoo-wine gastronomic description.)

The leeks seem to be good 'ol American leeks of the Shop Rite variety.

Gong Hey Fat Choy!!(sp?)

Thanks for that. Now I MUST try it!

I'm curious about the sausage. (And I like the supermarket leeks, too.) I'll be interested in the seasoning in the dish. I love sausages of all kinds -- from any nation. When I cook Chinese I use Lop Cheong in many dishes, and love the flavor, so a new type of sausage will be interesting to me.

I'll talk DH into going this week-end. This guy is and has always been a Chicken Chop Suey gourmet, but he loves whatever I order when we are out -- and has come to love pork belly in any form! Shows what a great chef can do!!! (and Chengdu 1 seems to have them)

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

A number of people have sent PMs to me and/or posted on this thread regarding "an eG gathering" at Chengdu 1 for the Chinese New Year. I'm sorry, but I'm not willing to deal with the rules/regs required to plan something.

If you want to go there for the special New Year's menu, I suggest you call and make a reservation, and QUICKLY, as the owner has told us about a number of large parties (large, as in, 30+ people at a time) who have made reservations. The restaurant isn't that big, so it's going to fill up FAST!

Jo-Mel, thanks for the Gong Xi Fa Cai! At least now I know how to spell it correctly... :smile:

If I were local - I'd be glad to take this on (I'm so jealous that I'm not going to get to sample CNY fare at Chengdu 1, but I'm stuck in Cleveland).

Please don't be intimidated by the rules. I organized the EG Heartland Gathering last year - ask people to PM you with dates, pick the most popular, make the reservation and post about it. You then collect the RSVPs via PM. Simple.

Gongxi Gongxi!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Just got back from Chengdu1 and DID try the Sausage with Leeks. (on the wall menu)It was great! But the mistake was in also getting Spicy Lamb with Special Pepper Sauce. The flavors of the two dishes were too similar. We also had my fav -- Shredded Potatoes, and Steamed Rice Powder Spareribs. We had to wait for that last dish, so it was apparent that it was freshly steamed. Good dish. I've made it with beef but never with riblets. A Steamed Rice Powder Beef is on the New Year menu. This is a nice dish. Not spicy, but the glutinuous rice coating is flavored with 5-spice powder and the meat is very tender.

The trouble with going as just a couple is that I want to order so much. Of course I always have plenty for a couple of lunches, but "my eyes are always bigger than my belly". I said that to the waitress in Chinese and I thought she was going to fall over!

• 1 month later...

Lucky us! We are visiting family for a long weekend, and are planning to go to Chengdu 1 with Jo-Mel on Monday (an unusual way to celebrate St. Patrick's day, but I bet it tastes better than green beer or bagels!). We haven't been there since August, and our mouths are watering already!

We are tentatively planning lunch, but could shift to dinner if needed to accomodate folks who have to work.

Please PM me if you are interested in joining us!

Too bad no one could join us Monday- we had quite a feast! All the photos are on my blog, but here are a few teasers!

Here is the "New Specials" menu; we didn't end up ordering anything off of it, but we would have had we had some help to eat it!

gallery_21337_5052_34048.jpg

gallery_21337_5052_43936.jpg

Spicy Vegetable Dumpling (Handwritten Special under "Appetizer Szechuan Style")

These were good - but the spicy Sichuan wontons are better!

gallery_21337_5052_94338.jpg

"Home Made" Sichuan Style Sausage (Wall Poster)

This was full of pork fatty goodness - and tasted even better with the spicy sauce the dumplings were served in!

gallery_21337_5052_105694.jpg

Braised Lamb Fillet w/Chili Sauce (House Special #64)

Spicy, perfectly tender lamb.

gallery_21337_5052_91180.jpg

Sauteed Noodle with Pork and Yellow Chive (Handwritten Special)

This dish was discussed upthread - it seems so simple, but it is actually a complex flavor that really pairs well with all the spicy items.

gallery_21337_5052_41512.jpg

Pickled Cabbage with Minced Pork (Szechuan Home Style Vegetables #NV1)

This was our least favorite dish. The "pickle" part was very strong, and overwhelmed the other flavors. Despite the visible chilies, to our palates, the sourness overpowered any heat that might have been in the dish. Ironically, my mom, who hates strong flavors and spice, loved these leftovers. Go figure.

gallery_21337_5052_148060.jpg

Spicy Volcano Chicken (House Special #61a)

This is not your momma's Chinese Food chicken! Dry fried and fiery - outstanding!

gallery_21337_5052_146241.jpg

Scallion Fish Fillet (Fish Szechuan Style #25)

This mild fish dish also complimented the spicy foods well - we had considered a spicy fish dish, but were glad that we reconsidered. The fish was very fresh and the light brown sauce mated well with the scallions.

It was great to see Jo-Mel and to enjoy some awesome Sichuan food!

• 4 weeks later...

Chengdu 1 lunch. April 11, 2008

Thanks to members of this forum, as well as The New York Times, for telling us of this restaurant.

Yesterday, four of us went and had a very enjoyable meal. Although it was lunchtime, we took advantage of the moment to make it our main meal of the day.

There are wall posters advertising special dishes, which is a wonderful thing, but making a decision can be difficult. The posters near the cashier's desk had a number of intriguing items, particularly the Szechuan style Sausage, served either by itself or in a hot sauce. There were also aparagus (but they were out of that item) and the intriguing Chicken Wings in Fermented Red Rice Juice. Later, I found an item on the printed menu, Spareribs in "Formanted Red Rice Juice" that promised a more satisfying nibbling experience.

We began with two soups. One, a Seafood Ginger Clear Soup was light and delicate, with very few shrimp, some crisp pea pods and fine shreds of fresh ginger. This soup might be better as a "clean" and light finish to a large meal.

The other soup, Turnip Soup With Bacon, is a heartier and more primal concoction of root, hog and soup. The unsmoked bacon, in long ribbons, is simmered, with cubes of turnips. It's an earthy combination of root, hog and broth, enlivened by the accompanying sauce of manifold spicy flavors.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Baby Wontons in Spicy Sauce. The Spareribs in Fermented Red Rice Juice was good, but a bit anticlimactic.

Salt-and-Pepper Softshell Crab was flavorsome, yet a little oil. I would get that in the Chillied version next time we're there. (Thursday next week).

Broccoli with Hot Red and Green Peppers was clean and crisp; the several types of chiles, ranging from sweet red to hot red and even salty pickled chiles gave the otherwise simple dish several levels of flavor.

My Sister-in-Law prefers brown rice, and it was available, at no extra charge.

This restaurant is a treasure, and the staff is friendly and accomodating.

I have uploaded a few photos to http://tinyurl.com/6m49xn

(You'll recognize them as similar to some posted above.) I didn't get a pic of the Seafood Ginger Clear Soup (which is on the "regular" Chinese, not Sichuan menu.)

Buen provecho, Panosmex

So glad you enjoyed C1, as we've come to call it, Panosmex! That housemade sausage and the spicy baby wontons are two of our go-to dishes when we go. Actually, the spicy wontons are a GIVEN, and we often get extra sauce on the side; it's great over rice or pretty much anything else! :biggrin: Imo you didn't miss anything with the asparagus, but if you ended up with the snow pea shoots, it's probably my favorite vegetable dish on the whole menu! Then again, their veg moo shu is excellent, too--very clean and crunchy. Did you get the broccoli stems in chili oil for the freebie 'appetizer' (instead of fried noodles or peanuts)? The peanuts are tasty, but ask for the broccoli stems next time you're in; they're also addictive.

Of course, now I'm craving C1...thanks for THAT. :laugh:

We had the "eh" fried wonton strips when we came in, but we set them, and the typical duck sauce aside when our food started to arrive.

I think I'm ordering Spicy Lamb next time, and maybe a noodle dish.

So glad you enjoyed C1, as we've come to call it, Panosmex!  That housemade sausage and the spicy baby wontons are two of our go-to dishes when we go.  Actually, the spicy wontons are a GIVEN, and we often get extra sauce on the side; it's great over rice or pretty much anything else!  :biggrin:  Imo you didn't miss anything with the asparagus, but if you ended up with the snow pea shoots, it's probably my favorite vegetable dish on the whole menu!  Then again, their veg moo shu is excellent, too--very clean and crunchy.  Did you get the broccoli stems in chili oil for the freebie 'appetizer' (instead of fried noodles or peanuts)?  The peanuts are tasty, but ask for the broccoli stems next time you're in; they're also addictive. 

Of course, now I'm craving C1...thanks for THAT.  :laugh:

Buen provecho, Panosmex

We had the "eh" fried wonton strips when we came in, but we set them, and the typical duck sauce aside when our food started to arrive.

I think I'm ordering Spicy Lamb next time, and maybe a noodle dish.

yes, yes, YES to the Spicy Lamb!!! Ants on a Tree is also great, as is the "chicken casserole" which isn't listed that way on the menu, but if you ask for Jessica to be your waitress, she'll know which one it is. She suggested it once and that's what she called it, so that's what we order now. If I can find out the real name of the dish, I'll post it. And don't forget to ask for those broccoli stems in chili oil-then they'll really know what you're talking about! :wink:

Don't forget to try the hot and spicey jumbo prawns. OMG they are so damn good. 4 plates of them later ..................

HEADSMACK. Of COURSE you need to try these--they're essentially salt&pepper prawns but w/a great spicy sauce. :wub:

We again had lunch at Chendu 1 yesterday. There were only 3 of us this time. It was good, but we made some less than optimal choices. For example, our niece wanted to try loofah, but purely by itself. It was good, but a bit slithery and in juxtaposition with the more exciting Ma Po Tofu, they were just too much soft creamy textures to my taste.

The Ox Tongue and Tripes were excellent. Scallion cakes were good, although I'd pefer the outsides to be crisper.

The Prawns with Chopped Chiles (There is, of course, more than one varaition on hot and spicy prawns) were beautiful, although nowhere near as spicy as we'd been warned.

Of course, we had the wonderful Baby Wontons in Spicy Sauce. They are the greatest.

Service was pleasant and helpful as before.

I have uploaded some photos of the foods, and additionally, some of the bakery at Kam Man Asian Foods in East Hanover. You can see them here.

Buen provecho, Panosmex