• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bastille Day?

graphicguru

I understand that Provence is not going to do their street boules festivities this year, and as a restaurant, they're lacking right now. I'm looking for a place in Manhattan or Brooklyn to take some friends for a delicious, comfortable, genuine French dinner to celebrate le quatorze juillet. Any recommendations, please?

The food is inconsistent, but I find the Bastille Day street festival put on by the Alliance Francaise, on 60th St. between 5th and Park or Lexington to be fun.

Michael aka "Pan"

Bar Tabac on Smith St. had a huge petanque tournament last year, they block off part of Smith St. and cover it in sand, teams from around the world compete -fun stuff!

according to their website, they are doing it again this year

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

The food is inconsistent, but I find the Bastille Day street festival put on by the Alliance Francaise, on 60th St. between 5th and Park or Lexington to be fun.

It's happening this year (as opposed to other years in the past when they haven't put it on) but it's on Sunday.

It's happening this year (as opposed to other years in the past when they haven't put it on) but it's on Sunday.

Don't they always put it on on the Sunday following Bastille Day (if 14 juillet comes during the week)? Which years did they not run it at all?

Michael aka "Pan"