• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superstar Chef Challenge

I was watching this show on the food network the other night and it dawned on me that the guy who runs the tasting area at Meinhardt's on South Granville is one of the contestants. I think his name is Rick Forde. He helped me select a balsamic one time, and although he was a bit overbearing, he seems like a nice guy. And certainly enthusiastic enough to win.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

I was watching this show on the food network the other night and it dawned on me that the guy who runs the tasting area at Meinhardt's on South Granville is one of the contestants.  I think his name is Rick Forde.  He helped me select a balsamic one time, and although he was a bit overbearing, he seems like a nice guy.  And certainly enthusiastic enough to win.

That's funny ... I remember him from

Enthusiastic. Good word. :laugh:

A.

His name is Rick Forbes and he is a fabulous, larger than life chef about town here in Vancouver. He does work at Meinhardt’s but also does a lot of behind the scenes cooking and catering.

I saw the show as well the other night, it replayed at 11:00 pm, and thought it was really quite good. It was also great to see 3 chefs from Vancouver competing, and rather amusing to see our local demographics well represented with a Gay man, Black women and an East Indian.

I don't know the East Indian fellow but Lisa Brown is an amazing gal who is an activist who works with youth out in Surrey on cooking programs, a fundraiser and a caterer. She put on an event for many years called Hip Hop for Hunger.

I think that Rick has the right stuff to make it on TV but the chef from the Four Seasons didn't seem to like him very much - on TV anyway....

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

Thank God he's not in the running for Superstar Chef anymore....I don't think that ego needs anymore inflation. But it is nice to see the diversity of Vancouver represented.

"Dio non ha creato che l'aqua... l'uomo ha fatto il vino

-God created the water...man made the wine.