• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Lamb Croquette

Varmint

I'm shamelessly copying a dish Shola Olunloyo recently prepared at Philadelphia's M Restaurant: Lamb two ways: loin and braised lamb croquette. Here's a picture of his version of the dish.

gallery_23992_3286_43138.jpg

I can handle the loin and any side dishes without a problem, but I've never made croquettes out of a braised meat before. Do I need to add any binder or other fillers? I'll do an egg/flour/egg/bread crumb crust, but even that's up for discussion.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm shamelessly copying a dish Shola Olunloyo recently prepared at Philadelphia's M Restaurant: Lamb two ways: loin and braised lamb croquette.  Here's a picture of his version of the dish.

gallery_23992_3286_43138.jpg

I can handle the loin and any side dishes without a problem, but I've never made croquettes out of a braised meat before.  Do I need to add any binder or other fillers?  I'll do an egg/flour/egg/bread crumb crust, but even that's up for discussion.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mashed potato perhaps...

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Will I really need to put something totally foreign like mashed potatoes to get this to hold together? I want to be able to cut into this croquette, and juicy, oozy meat flows out.

What did Shola do?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I was lucky enough to have that lamb croquette at the dinner last week, and it seemed to be pure lamb (and an amazing one at that). It wasn't oozing with juicy goodness, but the meat was incredibly moist.

Maybe if you email Shola at his blog, he'll be able to answer your question.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Aren't croquettes usually bound with a white sauce? Dean you may want to check in the Japan boards they have mentioned some meat based croquettes over there.

or using the braising liquid...what is the right starch to bind it with though, flour will be white, cornstarch only thickens once, arrow root or some molecular stuff?

sounds yummy though

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association