• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isn't egg salad great?

Fat Guy

The smell of the hard boiled eggs yesterday related to Easter egg coloring with my favorite 7 year old planted the urge for egg salad. Currently boiling eggs to medium done, toasting whole wheat Tuscan bread and contemplating the flavoring. I'm thinking the usual salt, pepper, dry mustard and mayo. As accents freeze dried onion bits ( just for a hint - no lumps) and on the herbal end very young French sorrel (tender & lemony) and some petals of the flowering sage. Anyone else go the egg salad route today?

009.JPG

011.JPG

Yup. We came home from a seder with a LOT of hardboiled eggs that no one wanted, for some reason. Lately I have been making my egg salad like this: chopped egg, minced celery, tiny amount of minced red onion, generous amount of fresh dill and then a light dressing of approx 2:1 mayo to creme fraiche. Then salt, pepper, dash of paprika. I've also make egg salad by mixing a bit of romesco sauce into the mayo.

One of the best egg salads I ever had was made by a friend when we were stuck on a Caribbean island (hard luck story, yo!) with eggs and butter but no mayo. Mr friend (who is thin, dang her eyes) made egg salad with butter. She creamed the butter first until it was soft and fluffy, then mixed in the roughly chopped eggs with some salt and pepper. It was incredibly rich and incredibly delicious.

Without my friend and an island, I like it with warm eggs, salt and pepper, and some mayo, especially on some fresh whole wheat bread.

I’ll be making egg salad in the next couple of days – we’ve got LOTS of pastel eggs in the fridge. Many years ago I came whining to eG about my wet, drippy egg salad and got good advice. My dream egg salad was the kind that was served at every Washington DC deli in my youth – finely chopped/minced eggs, JUST barely moist, spreadable – not pourable! Here are the tricks:

1. Add salt at the point of eating – not as you make the egg salad
  2. Don’t use hot eggs. Chill them in the refrigerator before making the salad. Don’t rinse the eggs off. Make sure they are very dry.
  3. Mayo, not Miracle Whip. And a TINY little amount!
  4. Mash eggs with potato masher, not a knife.

I do use a little bit of mustard and hot sauce. Occasionally I’ll add a little sweet relish. Onions ONLY if I’m sure that the batch will be eaten immediately with no leftovers. I sometimes like slices of bacon on top, but not chopped up inside since I don’t like cold bacon.

When we were in England I had a couple of ham and egg salad sandwiches. In both cases, there was egg salad AND sliced eggs. Nice touch and something that I’ve done since.

• 9 years later...

Staff note: This post and the responses to it have been moved from the Deviled (or Stuffed) Eggs: an appreciation and discussion topic, to keep both discussions focused.

Rather than stuff the egg yolk mixture back into the white shell, we set out endive leaves into which you spoon "egg salad": shopped eggs, good mayo, kiss of curry powder, sprinkle of chive or this amusing seaweed "caviar or the real thing if you insist.    Guests devour it.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

30 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Rather than stuff the egg yolk mixture back into the white shell, we set out endive leaves into which you spoon "egg salad": shopped eggs, good mayo, kiss of curry powder, sprinkle of chive or this amusing seaweed "caviar or the real thing if you insist.    Guests devour it.

Attractive, sophisticated, delicious. But no one can stretch the definition of devilled eggs that far! My son-in-law, expecting devilled eggs, would weep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Sounds like lovely egg salad.

Curry is a nice idea

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Attractive, sophisticated, delicious. But no one can stretch the definition of devilled eggs that far! My son-in-law, expecting devilled eggs, would weep. 

Send him for lunch.   He'll weep for joy.

On a serious note, of course we started by seasoning the yolk with a hint of curry, then stuffing the whites.    Quite lovely.   But "salad" is much easier and in the end tastes the same.   

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I agree that it sounds delish, as a salad,  but it cheats the definition.  :)

I always attempt to make too many deviled eggs for a meal. Any leftovers get mashed up and mixed with a roughly equal amount of ground ham and a good portion of chopped cornichons. Sublime filling for a sandwich!

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com