• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Isn't egg salad great?

Fat Guy

As if eggs weren't great enough, egg salad is eggs with a dressing made from eggs. I love it so much, and I think we should talk about it. I really do.

My contribution to the discussion is this: the best egg salad is warm egg salad. As in, you make it immediately after you hard-cook the egg, while the egg is still retaining its heat from cooking, and you eat it right away.

Who's next.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Aren't you going to tell us what sort of eggy dressing you had on your warm eggy salad?

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Forgive me. Still-warm hard-boiled egg, room-temperature mayonnaise, salt, freshly ground white pepper, crushed together with a fork until medium chunky, served on whole-wheat sourdough toast with Romaine lettuce.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Forgive me. Still-warm hard-boiled egg, room-temperature mayonnaise, salt, freshly ground white pepper, crushed together with a fork until medium chunky, served on whole-wheat sourdough toast with Romaine lettuce.

Its pretty hard to improve on perfect simplicity.

Some days I just might want some curry in that mayonnaise though.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Egg and bacon salad, lightly fried egg and crispy fried bacon (not too well done) on cos/romaine lettuce.

Oil from the bacon dresses the salad .

Egg yolk must still be runny.

Hunk of good bread, I prefer white bread for this.

Ditto, but with the addition of diced tomato and with the exclusion of the romaine lettuce. Perhaps sturdy white bread in place of whole-wheat sourdough.

Mmmm!

I dearly love egg salad exactly as written, warm absolutely. And the eggs need to be grated for blissful uniformity. This is often my dinner meal. Chef-boy plans to do an egg salad with pickle caviar spheres (mg) and brioche toast. Kid's a genius if I do say so myself.

I wonder if I'm one of the few people in the world who hates egg salad. I think it's because I hate hard-boiled eggs (bad childhood memories about those things).

That being said, if you make egg salad with miracle whip, I'll eat it. it's the only thing in the world that miracle whip is actually good for. (and deviled eggs, which are just a sort of deconstructed egg salad). Needs celery and shallots, too, because all that mushiness of egg salad just isn't good!

I never tire of egg salad. My usual is simply eggs finely cut, salt, pepper, mayo, a dash of hot sauce. Other times I add chopped parsley, celery and green onion.

Best egg sandwich I ever ate: sliced hot hardcooked eggs with homemade herb mayo on homemade oatmeal bread.

(If you make a lot of eggs at once and later need them hot, simply place peeled or unpeeled in hot water for a few minutes and proceed.)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I wonder if I'm one of the few people in the world who hates egg salad.  I think it's because I hate hard-boiled eggs (bad childhood memories about those things). 

That being said, if you make egg salad with miracle whip, I'll eat it.  it's the only thing in the world that miracle whip is actually good for.  (and deviled eggs, which are just a sort of deconstructed egg salad).  Needs celery and shallots, too, because all that mushiness of egg salad just isn't good!

Nope, you're not the only one. I also detest hard-boiled eggs, well, the whites, anyway. Mayonnaise doesn't cross the threshold of my house, much less my mouth.

I wonder if I'm one of the few people in the world who hates egg salad.  I think it's because I hate hard-boiled eggs (bad childhood memories about those things). 

That being said, if you make egg salad with miracle whip, I'll eat it.  it's the only thing in the world that miracle whip is actually good for.  (and deviled eggs, which are just a sort of deconstructed egg salad).  Needs celery and shallots, too, because all that mushiness of egg salad just isn't good!

Nope, you're not the only one. I also detest hard-boiled eggs, well, the whites, anyway. Mayonnaise doesn't cross the threshold of my house, much less my mouth.

:wacko: I'm with you two - absolutely NO egg salad, hard-boiled eggs, and mayo. That leaves more for those who do like them. :wink:

Hmm dont like hardboiled eggs ....dont really like mayo

nope, I'll have turkey thanks

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You might be my doppelganger! I hate the yolk, but don't mind the white so much. I do like mayonnaise, though.

I'll eat egg salad when nothing else is available but I'm not a real fan of it and understand why some people are repulsed by the very thought of it. Adding chopped olives makes it a genuine abomination - even for me who will eat it in a pinch. Chopped sweet pickles would be a better choice.

And it's not that I don't like eggs. Scrambled, fried, hard boiled, omelets and especially deviled eggs are all to my liking. But egg salad? Yuck.

Egg-salad strategy tidbit: I've found that sometimes in a worst-case scenario, like when you're on a road-trip and there's nothing to eat, you can acquire a hard-cooked egg from a mini-mart or even a vending machine. Then you can acquire a few of those little plastic packets of mayonnaise from a fast-food restaurant or other source of free condiments. Hard-cooked egg + mayonnaise + fork = egg salad.

HMMMMM, egg salad! :smile: I like to add a little paprika and/or cayenne to the mixture. Serve it on a couple of slices of nice rye bread with caraway seeds!

I also like egg and bacon salad on sturdy white bread. I'm hungry!

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

My ex-MIL would add a can of tuna to her egg salad, which always included chopped onion, pickle, salt and pepper. It actually wasn't half bad, even though the combination does sound a bit odd. I will make it every once in a while this way. However, the favorite is egg (of course), mayo, green onion, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper on toasted multi-grain.

Edited: I gotta try the addition of bacon!

Edited by turckie (log)
Someday the power of human stupidity will be harnessed and the energy crisis will be over.

I'm all for egg salad, as either Fat Guy or The Old Foodie described it at the very start of this important discussion. Hard to improve on either of those ideas.

But there is yet a remaining vital question attached to the idea of egg salad sandwich, though, and that is how thick should it be layered onto the sandwich? This can make or break an egg salad sandwich, leaving one greatly disappointed or even vaguely angry, if it is not engineered correctly before taking a bite.

The best egg salad sandwich I ever had was in London. It was a perfect little rectangle of Best British wheat bread filled with egg salad that approached a puree in texture, with only tiny little bites of hard white here and there to be found.

The bread was very soft and thin and a bit nutty from wheat kernels that also seemed tiny and precise, self-deprecatory wheat kernels they were, rather than the usual huge lumbersome kernels that are always trying to get stuck in your teeth. It was topped with the loveliest little alfalfa sprouts, darling alfalfa sprouts, and just enough of them. They were not even peeking over the edge of the sandwich in a rude fashion but rather honored their inner selves as sprouts by retiring gently between the slices of bread to cuddle up next to the finesse of the egg salad, knowing that soon they would be eaten but ready and willing for the eventuality to occur. For of course, they were sprouts and they knew their place. One might say they closed their eyes and thought of England but I doubt those sprouts were even that pushy.

There was also a shimmer, the merest shimmer if that is possible, of Branston pickle on one side of the sandwich. Which added the merest savory bite to the whole otherwise gently receding yet delightfully tasty experience.

But the core question here is the thickness of egg salad. You can not layer on egg salad with a trowel as if it were roast beef, or turkey. No no no. It is a crime against the tastebuds of humanity to attempt that. It must be a rather thin, perfectly measured layer throughout the sandwich with not the least bit of deviation in height, otherwise the perfection will be quite off, to the point of ruination.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

The first time I had egg salad, I remembered thinking how special it seemed to me. On weekends, I sometimes had an egg salad sandwich for breakfast instead of "traditional" breakfast foods.

Mine's always been really simple. The first one was an egg, reduced-fat mayo, salt, and pepper on squishy white bread. Through the years, I've varied it a little- whole wheat bread, and a number of add-ins depending on my whim- curry powder (as mentioned), various mustards, hot sauce, smoked paprika, grated onion, minced garlic, diced celery, pickle relish......

But that 1st egg salad sandwich was a revelation to me :biggrin: .

I totally love egg salad sandwiches, but my oldest brother despised them. He called them "fart sandwiches" because of their smell. More for me, I guess.

I like a bit of diced onion in my egg salad.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Egg salad is a happiness producer. :smile::wub:

I don't care for hard boiled eggs either, but egg salad is a different animal, much much more than the sum of its parts. I like it on whole wheat toast. A bit of cider vinegar in the egg salad brings the taste buds to nice places. I suspect this will be dinner tonight. :rolleyes:

Call me a heretic but I like a little chopped capers in my 'Fat-Guy' style egg salad.

For hubby, served only on soft white Japanese bread (that fluffy thickly sliced stuff) with lettuce (IMHO more herecy), on rustic country sourdough loaf for me.

(I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight -- it's hot so what could be better?)

So without setting this to be bounced to the Japan board has anyone seen Japanese tartar sauce? It's actually more similar to egg salad than to tartar sauce.

I've seen them do this on Dotchi cooking show a few times and it looked so good my mouth was watering I just had to try it -- really amazing with the right fish.

Basically use Fat Guy's egg salad recipe, add a little relish, some chopped dill and freshly made mayonaise. Amazing stuff.

Be sure to finish any of the above permutations with the requisite 84mg aspirin ;)