• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smith & Mills

foodhunter

I stopped in a few days ago and I'm not sure I get the concept of this spot. I was under the impression that it was a cocktail-driven bar owned by one of the Employees Only folks. But it seems more like a restaurant, with very little (if any) emphasis on cocktails.

well...EO was marketed more as a restaurant first as well.

(with the exception of one bartender)...I'd say that EO has always been middling in both food and cocktails and I imagine the same would be true for S&M.

only from the really tall bald guy.

there's two tall muscular bald guys...its the tallest, oldest looking one...he knows his stuff.

some of the other guys can make a decent enough Aviation...though they freepour so you never quite know how it's gonna turn out.

but with Little Branch close by...why bother? the house drinks at EO are generally pretty good (some of which are standards like the Martinez and a Pimm's Cup cocktail)...

I decided to test them and went a few days ago, asked for some off the menu cocktails that they didn't know how to make. I asked for an Aviation but our bartender proposed an alternative. I'm not even sure I saw Maraschino behind the bar that night.

A little off topic, but is it worth going off the menu (drinks-wise) at EO?

Abosuletely go off menu at EO. That's when the fun really starts. They have a number of unusual spirits they know how to use.

Where exactly is Smith & Mills?

Edited by eas (log)

Smith & Mills is on N. Moore St in Tribeca, right across the construction site for DeNiro's new hotel I believe. I don't think it has any sort of signage. It's a nondescript entrance. Look for a door that looks like it would open into the back of a restaurant kitchen and chances are you'll stumble right on the place.

Nathan -- do you have a recipe for the Martinez? The ones I've come across don't call for Marschino.

Check drinkboy.com for the Martinez recipe (maraschino included). Normally I think that cocktailDB does a good job with recipes, but they seem to have missed this one.

You're thinking of Dushan, Nathan. IMHO, he's an *awesome* bartender. It is definitely true that the quality of the other bar staff varies, although I'm finding that this is a problem plaguing several establishments.

eas: You're referring to house originals or classics with regard to "going off the menu"? I haven't really gone deep at EO, so I'm not sure what their original drinks are like. Do they have a predilection for any spirit in particular, or any unusual/imported/infused spirits worth sampling?

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

• 3 months later...

I've given EO several tries and it's failed to impress me. First time I went, I had a sidecar that had so much lemon juice, it was undrinkable. I have been served unbalanced drinks during subsequent visits as well - when it's been ten people deep and also when I've been one of the only people there. I haven't been back in a very long time.

I think it's just the nature of the establishment - it gets so damn crowded that I'm certain the bartenders don't have the time to give proper attention when mixing. Also, I don't think the crowd that frequents EO is there to really appreciate a great cocktail. I tend to think of EO as a trendy bar that has attempted to create an interesting menu beyond just cosmos. That a true cocktail bar does not make.

In my opinion, it's not even close to the same level as Pegu, Death & Co and the like.

If people think there's a reason I should give it another go, I'm always open to the idea. :smile:

Edited by ryeandchampagne (log)