• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pillsbury® Reduced Sugar Cake Mixes.

GlorifiedRice

Maybe this is for a different thread, but your post made me think of a question.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the mixes made for use in a bakery and mixes made for the home consumer?

My rep is leaving me samples of bakery mixes and I haven't tried them yet, but I was curious if this is just the consumer stuff packed into 50 pound bags.... (he's not leaving me 50 # bags, just sample bags :biggrin: )

Yes, there is a huge difference in the two types. The bulk type has a different make up, most already contain the eggs. Most of them you just add water and oil. While the bagged are ok, for anyone who likes cake mix cakes, the consumer type is far better. Most full scale bakeries use the bulk because it's cost effective and easier to make large batches.

I've tried both and will gladly keep buying the consumer blend. (I use both scratch and doctored mixes.)

You'll have to try it for yourself. I would say if you doctor the consumer box, then plan to doctor the bulk too.